Comic Books

Azmodeous

Comic Books

Post by Azmodeous » Sat May 05, 2018 7:13 pm

I've cut a bit of the books I was reading but still read a few of DC's post Rebirth books. Superman has been the best he's ever been in over a decade now, and Bendis' direction definitely intrigues me after reading DC Nation #0 today (big ups to Sherrys sister for stopping by free comic book day for us) though i really hope he does keep Lois and Jon around, their lack of involvement in his first 2 stories does worry me. Flash has been great as well, I'm still loving that book, but Wonder Woman lost me once Greg Rucka stopped writing it and Titans and Green Lantern Corps weren't keeping me invested so I dropped them for now. I'm still loving Doomsday Clock though and Dark Knights Metal was just batshit insane and has me tempted to pick up Snyder's Justice League. I'm also still reading Star Wars which is actually gotten better with the original Vader creative team taking over and Doctor Aphra (which is by the same writer and is great as well).

What are y'all reading right now?

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Re: Comic Books

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sun May 06, 2018 5:07 pm

ive gone mostly digital, Im behind on most everything, mostly waiting on sales.

last thing Marvel did I was really into was Infamous Iron Man. still reading Doomsday Clock, just got the first few volumes of Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns.

Roxxxas

Post by Roxxxas » Mon May 07, 2018 7:42 am

I’m a good couple years behind on my reading :shock:

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Mon May 07, 2018 8:11 am

Roxxxas wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:42 am
I'm roughly a month behind on everything, though a few books I'm up to date on.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:09 am

Azmodeous wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:11 am
Roxxxas wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:42 am
I'm roughly a month behind on everything, though a few books I'm up to date on.
I'm a year and a half behind. I just can't time to read mainly.

Roxxxas

Post by Roxxxas » Wed May 30, 2018 12:42 pm

Seventh Doctor mini-series from Titan comes out next week

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Reading Man of Steel and growing more confident that Bendis was a good choice for Superman. The first 2 issues are genuinely great.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:30 am

Just finished the second issue of Grant Morrison's Green Lantern and I'm loving it. He's writing Hal as the focus and just making him a tough as nails space cop, and then placing him in a universe of bizarre and weird designs and characters. I wasn't sure of the art at first, but by the second issue I'm on board as it really sells the shit out of the weirdness, so much so I don't think this take on GL would work without it.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:15 am

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:30 am
Just finished the second issue of Grant Morrison's Green Lantern and I'm loving it. He's writing Hal as the focus and just making him a tough as nails space cop, and then placing him in a universe of bizarre and weird designs and characters. I wasn't sure of the art at first, but by the second issue I'm on board as it really sells the shit out of the weirdness, so much so I don't think this take on GL would work without it.
Liam Sharpe has come a long way from those Danzig comics back in the '90s. His Wonder Woman was great, I love how he frames his panels and he's great at just showing weird stuff and making it stand out. I'm enjoying this. I was a little worried about shaking up so many titles creative teams as Rebirth has been great for DC creatively, but Superman, this, and Wonder Woman have been pretty good reads still.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:28 pm

I understand why it was done but the finale of The Walking Dead is just a big fuck you to fans that have read it for the past 16 years.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:46 pm

I've read through House of X #1 several times and I'm not 100 percent sure I understand any of it but damn if I'm not intrigued by it. I haven't felt this way about an X-Men comic since Grant Morrison was doing New X-Men.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:47 pm

Azmodeous wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:46 pm
I've read through House of X #1 several times and I'm not 100 percent sure I understand any of it but damn if I'm not intrigued by it. I haven't felt this way about an X-Men comic since Grant Morrison was doing New X-Men.
"You have new gods now" might be my favorite line in a long time just for the sheer fuck you way Magneto said it.

I'm on the side of thinking it's not actually Xavier so we'll see where it goes.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:16 am

Keith6601 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:47 pm
Azmodeous wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:46 pm
"You have new gods now" might be my favorite line in a long time just for the sheer fuck you way Magneto said it.

I'm on the side of thinking it's not actually Xavier so we'll see where it goes.
That whole spiel Magneto gave was just classic.

I'm really wondering that myself, I'm getting a Maker vibe from Xavier which would explain why he's basically turning into Doctor Doom right now.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 pm

Man, House of X #2 just took every theory I was formulating and throw them in my face and laughed at me. Wow, what a reveal!

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:35 am

Azmodeous wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 pm
Man, House of X #2 just took every theory I was formulating and throw them in my face and laughed at me. Wow, what a reveal!
Did you read Powers of X?

I like what happened here. It keeps everything in continuity but starts a new point for people jumping on here.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:21 pm

Keith6601 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:35 am
Azmodeous wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 pm
Did you read Powers of X?

I like what happened here. It keeps everything in continuity but starts a new point for people jumping on here.
Yeah, I read them back to back.
It's definitely a way to brush aside a lot of continuity without tossing it out completely.
I'm genuinely excited for X-Men for the first time in a long time.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:28 pm

I've been mulling over how to continue reading comics regularly and not piling up long boxes around the house again. My solution is to go to trades of key stories while streaming services for my regular reading. Does anyone use any of them? How do they compare? I know there's DC Universe, Marvel unlimited, and ComiXology but are there any others I should check out?

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:39 pm

Azmodeous wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:28 pm
I've been mulling over how to continue reading comics regularly and not piling up long boxes around the house again. My solution is to go to trades of key stories while streaming services for my regular reading. Does anyone use any of them? How do they compare? I know there's DC Universe, Marvel unlimited, and ComiXology but are there any others I should check out?
I was using Marvel Unlimited for awhile but their compatibility on devices kind of sucked (when new devices came out they ended support of older devices). DC Universe is supposedly limited in what it offers (though you do get the shows) and Comixology has a great interface, but I'm pretty sure the Unlimited is more limited than Marvel or DC on those companies' offerings, though they have a ton of smaller labels so there is still plenty to read and probably the best option if you're not that into the big 2 anymore.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:55 pm

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:39 pm
Azmodeous wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:28 pm
I was using Marvel Unlimited for awhile but their compatibility on devices kind of sucked (when new devices came out they ended support of older devices). DC Universe is supposedly limited in what it offers (though you do get the shows) and Comixology has a great interface, but I'm pretty sure the Unlimited is more limited than Marvel or DC on those companies' offerings, though they have a ton of smaller labels so there is still plenty to read and probably the best option if you're not that into the big 2 anymore.
I have DC Universe, their selection has improved a lot since launch, but I kind of feel like it's not going to be around too long sadly. I'm really only reading X-men and Star Wars from Marvel currently so maybe Comixology is my best bet.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:03 am

Only thing that might be a downside for Comixology is that tablet or phone you have to download the comics, on a desktop you can read them without downloading them.