Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Azmodeous

Re: Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Post by Azmodeous » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:06 pm

Christopher Robin

What you get if you took the concept of Hook and replaced Peter Pan with Winnie the Pooh. It's all in all rather charming and magical to watch, it's just a shame that Jacen isn't quite ready for the theater experience as I think he will enjoy this very much.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 am

THE MEG

Fan fucking tastic! Just a fun movie. If you're looking for some great story or thought provoking cinema, you're in the wrong place because this is just straight up a summer film. The cast is fun and gel well and the nods to Jaws are cool. The changes made to the book are barely noticeable as they don't ruin anything. After 20 years this is finally made and I think it's the perfect timing for it as some of the stuff that make it enjoyable wouldn't have been possible if any of those other incarnations had happened over the years. There's already talk of making it a series and I'd be in for it all.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:28 pm

The Meg

Maybe the most fun I've had at the movies this year. Pretty sure this will graduate to classic status in the years to come (unless those of us who don't die in nuclear fire eat the rest of us, I mean I guess it could still be a classic but we won't get to enjoy it anymore).

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Equalizer II

A better film overall than the first one, with more action spaced out through out the movie, and at times a thriller and some real moments of drama... but the variety is also a bit of a detriment as it feels less focused and a bit all over the place at times. Still pretty fantastic, Denzel once again shines, and I think the backdrop for the final showdown may be even more original than in the first. This will be pretty high on my MOTY list.

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:23 pm

Here's what I saw this past week:

The Happytime Murders - It's a one-joke movie, so after about ten minutes, it gets old. And then it gets even older. And then you're just sort of over the whole damn thing. But at least Melissa McCarthy was good in her role. This just would have been better as an SNL skit (and not a bad movie made from an SNL skit).

Searching - The gimmick of telling the whole story through computer screens and surveillance videos has been done before, but the impressive thing here is the story itself and how the mystery of John Cho's missing teenage daughter unfolds. It is quite great. Cho is fantastic in his role too. Honestly, this is must see. The twists and turns aren't at all obvious and really make for a rewarding experience.

Mission Impossible: Fallout - I don't remember almost a thing about any of the other MI movies, but I remember being a fan of almost all of them (let's ignore MI 2). I suspect the same will be true of this film. The plot is twisty and turny and loads of fun, if not memorable. I like Tom Cruise, a lot! He's perfect again in this role. The whole cast is great really. A really fun action flick.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:41 am

Continuing my summer movie catch-up (since I have three movies a week to see anyway)

The Meg - Started out being pretty entertaining, and I really do like Jason Statham so him showing up in anything is always a plus to me, but the last act feels so anti-climatic. Still, this was overall pretty good.

Christopher Robin - Not sure why, but the overall tone I got from this was melancholy. It certainly comes together in the end for a happy finale, and there's some funny lines from the familiar crew of Pooh, Piglet, and Tigger too. But so much of the film is about leaving childhood behind and it feels like it just beats us over the head with that before finally in the last 20 minutes reminding us not to lose our childlike spirit. Paddington this is not.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:18 am

I saw Searching for a second time last night. It’s deciniteky in my top two movies for the year so far.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Joe wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:18 am
I saw Searching for a second time last night. It’s deciniteky in my top two movies for the year so far.
The other being Searching for the first time :lol:

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:52 pm

Peppermint

A perfectly okay action vigilante movie that needs something...maybe more moments of vengeance, more kills, more...something to be special. I will say I liked it more than the Bruce Willis Death Wish

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:22 am

BlacKkKlansman - Can you believe this is based on a true story? Spike Lee gives us a fantastic film here that uses a story from a time that feels like so long ago and yet clearly ties into our culture today (and in case you weren't sure it did, he puts actual footage from modern day KKK rallies and racially motivated acts of violence at the end, in a very sobering moment). There actually are a number of laughs here, but they're the sort of laughs that make a topic like racism more comfortable to talk about while also highlighting the issue. There's also a ton of suspense built up through the sting operation. Love how this is filmed too! The acting is great, especially Adam Driver as the white face of the undercover case, and Topher Grace as David Duke. Definitely cannot recommend this one enough.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:30 pm

do they show Trump at the end?

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:14 pm

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:30 pm
do they show Trump at the end?
For about a second. The press conference clip from him saying there were bad people on both sides of that one KKK rally where anti-racism protesters and the KKK members got into a violent altercation.

Honestly, the whole movie is interesting because it takes place in the past and its supposed to feel like things that aren't happening right now, but there's little reminders that this is very much still happening. The last few minutes with the real footage of last year's events are the most sobering. But there's one scene where two characters are talking about David Duke's political aspirations and one character says "who would vote for someone with such blatantly racist ideas and beliefs" (I'm paraphrasing) and the other character, a white guy, telling him to "Wake up."

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:22 pm

this is all further proof that I need to see this. I just rarely am in the mood for something "heavy".

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:07 pm

I want to see it, but I thought it was a comedy..........which I probably will still laugh at stuff I'm not supposed to :lol:

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:42 pm

Keith6601 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:07 pm
I want to see it, but I thought it was a comedy..........which I probably will still laugh at stuff I'm not supposed to :lol:
Honestly you are supposed to laugh. It’s part of the genius of the movie. Play it for some laughs, and then the heavier scenes are even more impactful. And trust me there’s some laugh out loud scenes.
ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:22 pm
this is all further proof that I need to see this. I just rarely am in the mood for something "heavy".
See it! Like I said it’s kind of low key heavy. Like you don’t even realize how heavy it was until afterwards when you’re still thinking about it.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:46 am

Destination Wedding - This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. If I gave out negative star ratings, this would have earned that. The screenplay is awful. The dialogue sounds like two actors who are reading from an awful "quirky" screenplay. Like something someone wrote in film school and received a C grade on at best. The acting is stilted and just bad, to the point where I question why I ever liked Keanu Reeves or Winona Ryder (bonus points for the fact that they literally are the only two characters who speak in the entire movie, meaning we have to spend extra time with them, awful as they are). I really came to hate both of them. There's also quite literally the most awful sex scene I've ever seen in a movie as well. None of this is believable and I'm pretty sure it is trying to be. I honestly considered leaving the movie when there was about 25 minutes left (mind you, it's only an hour and 20 minutes long) because it felt like a waste of time to watch these annoying characters pretend like they weren't going to end up together in the end. Spoiler to save you the trouble, of course they end up together. And the world is a worse place for it.

Iamspiderman

Post by Iamspiderman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:22 am

Joe wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:46 am
Destination Wedding - This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. If I gave out negative star ratings, this would have earned that. The screenplay is awful. The dialogue sounds like two actors who are reading from an awful "quirky" screenplay. Like something someone wrote in film school and received a C grade on at best. The acting is stilted and just bad, to the point where I question why I ever liked Keanu Reeves or Winona Ryder (bonus points for the fact that they literally are the only two characters who speak in the entire movie, meaning we have to spend extra time with them, awful as they are). I really came to hate both of them. There's also quite literally the most awful sex scene I've ever seen in a movie as well. None of this is believable and I'm pretty sure it is trying to be. I honestly considered leaving the movie when there was about 25 minutes left (mind you, it's only an hour and 20 minutes long) because it felt like a waste of time to watch these annoying characters pretend like they weren't going to end up together in the end. Spoiler to save you the trouble, of course they end up together. And the world is a worse place for it.
I can hear ICY breathing heavily with anticipation from here. :lol:

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:59 am

Iamspiderman wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:22 am
Joe wrote:
Nooooo it's not so bad it's good, it's so bad that it should be destroyed.

Iamspiderman

Post by Iamspiderman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:21 am

Joe wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:59 am
Iamspiderman wrote:
Joe wrote:
You're only making it worse!!!

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Iamspiderman wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:21 am
Joe wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:59 am
Iamspiderman wrote:

You're only making it worse!!!
are there explosions or gunplay?

Kung Fu?

If not, no Bueno