Another October Boys and Ghouls....2.0

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Another October Boys and Ghouls....2.0

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:39 pm

Hello again, my dear little Binsters. CK here. Back again. Now I know you are all...broken up... that my previous visits to your little Bin of Loonies has been lost to the ravages of time. But never fear... well... ALWAYS fear...but, never...worry... as I have graced your Bin part deux with my presence... and with more tales of woe. Like our first tale...

CK pulls out a bag of chips and beer...

Sometimes the best fear is fear of the known, and not the unknown. Why, everyone knows their local grocery. Snacks, sweets, beer, and delicious meat.... friendly neighborhood people. But how well do you REALLY know your grocer? Maybe... business isn't doing as well as they let on. maybe things are almost...at the brink. Maybe when it's time to SLASH prices, it's because your grocer is at his last ROPE. and maybe when push comes to shove...maybe...it's not JUST the prices that get slashed....

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Re: Another October Boys and Ghouls....2.0

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:46 pm

Hello again, dearies. Tonight's tale is a cautionary tale of big business.. of corporate GREED... of science and the military industrial complex gone awry (
, let slip the DOG of WAR... or you can call him...the DEATH MACHINE

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Re: Another October Boys and Ghouls....2.0

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Hello, boys and ghouls...I'm back again with a very special view from the Crypt... I have two very special guests tonight... the ghosts of Siskel & Ebert. Take it away boys....

Ebert's ghost: Our first movie is an experimental film from director Jonathan Glazer that is a science fiction film, but it also quite frightening and horrific at times. Scarlett Johansson plays the alien stranger in a strange land, a creature that takes the appearance of a beautiful young woman that uses that beauty to entrap men for her alien masters. Its quite an exploration of humanity through the eyes of this alien stranger.

I found this film fascinating at times, particulary the stark sexuality of it, but it could be hard to connect to this film since it is just so strange and alien into itself. I still mostly enjoyed it.

Siskel's ghost: I agree that this is a hard film to connect with. I really wanted to like this film, and it can be almost hypnotic at times, but I really thought it could have used a more straightforward narrative and it just moves so slow. I wanted to like it, but it spent way too much time waiting for something to happen. I'm not on board, Roger.

Ebert's ghost: Okay, our next film is new to theaters. Venom is a new comic book movie from Sony and it stars Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock, a photo journalist who has his life severely impacted by his attempted expose of science and business mogul Carlton Drake, who basically ends Brock's career in retaliation. Brock is down on his luck until he attempts a break in of Drake's facilities to expose his human rights violations, but is then exposed to the alien symbiote who is the titular, Venom.

Ebert's Ghost: Okay, this was one of the dumbest movies I've seen in some time. Hardy is almost playing someone with multiple personalities and is arguing with himself...only we as the audience hear the voice as well and it's the alien, who talks less like a visitor from another world and more like a juvenile deliquent. The action and stunts can be thrilling at times, but it feels so much like a video game and not like real life, you can't feel the stakes since it all feels so manufactered. I won't get into too many plot details, but it lacks an internal logic at times and I feel stupider for having seen this.

Siskel's Ghost: I can't argue with any of your points, but I do think this film works because Hardy commits so fully to his out of control performance. Yes, this film is silly, outright ridiculous, and the plot can be a real mess, but it's played so earnestly, I couldn't help myself. I had a great deal of fun with this. More so than the Marvel films I've seen from this year... it's never solemn and self serious, it's entertainment, and I was entertained. It never tried to be anymore than it was.

Ebert's Ghost: So let's recap. I gave Under the Skin a Thumbs up.

Siskel's Ghost: and I gave it a Thumbs down.

Ebert's Ghost: I gave Venom a Thumbs down.

Siskel's Ghost: and I gave it a big Thumbs up. CK... thanks for having us.

CK: And thank you two. Now to wrap up, I gave Siskel and Ebert two severed thumbs up!

Ebert's Ghost: wait.... are those our thumbs?

CK: maybe....maybe not. wait...what's that?

Just then the Crypt begins to fill with a black ooze.

Siskel's Ghost: ...you can keep the thumbs... we're outtie!

Siskel and Ebert's ghosts vanish. The ooze starts working it's way up to CK's neck....

guys...guys...sorry I stole your thumbs...wait....glub glub

CK disappears under the ooze as we fade to black