Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Azmodeous

Re: Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Post by Azmodeous » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:47 am

Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark

Imagine an episode of Nickelodeon's Are You Afraid of the Dark with really good cinematography and some genuinely creepy creature effects and you'd be close to what this film is. Not bad but not really memorable either.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Angel Has Fallen

It's more of a thriller than the first one and it's a solid one at that (albeit predictable). But it's the action that makes this so good, and its pretty funny at times too (with crazy old Nic Nolte stealing the show).

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:50 pm

It Chapter Two

Yeah it's way too long but it's still pretty great. Fucked up at times, but great.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:15 am

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:50 pm
It Chapter Two

Yeah it's way too long but it's still pretty great. Fucked up at times, but great.
We saw it Monday. I really liked it, but yeah, I could see nearly 30 minutes that were completely unnecessary and could have been cut for a tighter film. I'm super interested to see what this director does with The Flash though.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Rambo Last Blood

Starts off in a fucked up place, with John Rambo retired on his family's farm and almost....happy. Well fuck that shit, because his niece is about to go to Mexico and get sold into the sex trade, and Rambo goes to get her back. But the cartels arent just enemy soldiers, they're much better organized and this ain't no place for a one man army. So what looks like it's going to be a Taken movie (with Rambo instead of the Neesons) twists back around into a Rambo flick by the climax. And what fun we have. One of the better action/vigilante finishers in the history of our great sport. Watch this shit, unless the sight of broken bones sticking through the skin, necks and heads being impaled and raw naked organs hanging out are too much for you. In which case, I hear Hustlers is all right?

rohspashley

Post by rohspashley » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:05 am

funny story. i am from Canada, so for the second straight year i decided to go to Chicago for wrestling over labour day weekend. so going to see All Out on August 31, my hotel is like a 4 minute walk from a local AMC so figured i would see a movie. saw Spider Man Far From Home re-release with like 3 minutes of extra footage, didnt really add much. saw it in IMAX and i was the only person in the cinema, which has never happened to me before.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:14 am

rohspashley wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:05 am
funny story. i am from Canada, so for the second straight year i decided to go to Chicago for wrestling over labour day weekend. so going to see All Out on August 31, my hotel is like a 4 minute walk from a local AMC so figured i would see a movie. saw Spider Man Far From Home re-release with like 3 minutes of extra footage, didnt really add much. saw it in IMAX and i was the only person in the cinema, which has never happened to me before.
How's the movie theater business in Canada? I know at least in the areas around here outside of opening weekend and especially a week day showing it's not uncommon to have only a handful of people or even a theater to yourself. I've always assumed maybe the theater business just sucks here but in a big place like Chicago....yikes.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Joker

A great film with a tremendous performance that deserves the hype, just a raw intense character study that happens to be named after a comic book character.
I honestly dont see how this got made in 2019.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Gemini Man

Decent but not especially great action thriller with a sci fi twist but 3D HFR is certainly a thing. I feel like Ang Lee could do a rom com in that shit and I'd be engrossed (and I wouldn't put it past him).

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:16 pm

Joker

Hollywood, 2019, the only way you can get a Martin Scorsese inspired character study released nationwide and get audiences to go see it is to slap a comic book character's name on it. This is such a fantastic, well-acted, beautifully shot film that is engaging and disturbing at the same time.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Azmodeous wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:16 pm
Joker

Hollywood, 2019, the only way you can get a Martin Scorsese inspired character study released nationwide and get audiences to go see it is to slap a comic book character's name on it. This is such a fantastic, well-acted, beautifully shot film that is engaging and disturbing at the same time.
You know, yes. Yes to your first point. My first reaction to the movie was one of wonder for why this had to be “Joker” and not just a character study on a psycho. I felt like some of the Batman related references were a little forced. But the truth is nowhere near as many people would have gone to see Joaquin Phoenix as a crazy person not named Joker.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 pm

Terminator Dark Fate

This is nowhere even in the same league as T1 or T2 but it's also not a bad flick either. I think the biggest problem this series has overall is that after T2 there has been a constant need to justify the existence of the film and it showed on screen. T2 just wrapped things up too well and any sequel was always going to feel a bit contrived. This one isn't really different and boy do they do something here that tries to justify it's existence, it's something that has caused the kind of rational discourse you've seen around The Last Jedi online.

The thing that pushes this to the good column for me is the performances. Linda Hamilton is damn near pitch-perfect as Sarah Connor here. Arnold is great with the little bit of time he gets here. McKenzie Davis is also a bright spot here as Grace in the protector role. The Dani character is probably the weakest of the cast and she's not really bad or anything.

The bad here for me is the rubbery CGI, it takes you out of some scenes when you're getting into things. That plus the need for each film to constantly ramp up action set pieces to be bigger than the last which I feel like could have been a lot more visceral if they had kept it practical and a bit smaller scale than 2 CGI airplanes colliding with each other.

Tl;Dr it's alright, but not a memorable experience like the first 2 films.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Doctor Sleep

Me never read book (am barely lit-er-ate) but holy shit I loved this.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Azmodeous wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 pm
Terminator Dark Fate

This is nowhere even in the same league as T1 or T2 but it's also not a bad flick either. I think the biggest problem this series has overall is that after T2 there has been a constant need to justify the existence of the film and it showed on screen. T2 just wrapped things up too well and any sequel was always going to feel a bit contrived. This one isn't really different and boy do they do something here that tries to justify it's existence, it's something that has caused the kind of rational discourse you've seen around The Last Jedi online.

The thing that pushes this to the good column for me is the performances. Linda Hamilton is damn near pitch-perfect as Sarah Connor here. Arnold is great with the little bit of time he gets here. McKenzie Davis is also a bright spot here as Grace in the protector role. The Dani character is probably the weakest of the cast and she's not really bad or anything.

The bad here for me is the rubbery CGI, it takes you out of some scenes when you're getting into things. That plus the need for each film to constantly ramp up action set pieces to be bigger than the last which I feel like could have been a lot more visceral if they had kept it practical and a bit smaller scale than 2 CGI airplanes colliding with each other.

Tl;Dr it's alright, but not a memorable experience like the first 2 films.
I liked Salvation better. And Sarah Connor Chronicles. I couldn't get over
John
. I hate to say it, but Terminator needs to die. I'll remember the good times.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:52 pm

21 Bridges

Just a fantastic movie.