New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Joe

New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:50 am

Because I think a whole bunch of us on here watch New Japan now!

Keith6601

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Keith6601 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:38 pm

I love that Okada kept up with his declaring intrastable matches a good idea during the White announcement interview. It's lead to him wanting to go back to the tradition of champions facing off.
Okada vs Ospreay!!!!

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:21 pm

The brackets for the New Japan Cup have been announced:

Elgin vs Ishii
Juice vs Yujiro
Tanahashi vs Taichi
Bad Luck Fale vs Lance Archer
Yoshi-Hoshi vs Ibushi
NAITO VS ZACK SABRE JR
Yano vs Davey Boy Smith Jr
Chuckie T vs Sanada

Sanada/Naito in the semis would be crazy but I'm not sure if they actually go with it.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:19 am

Fale vs Archer...I thought Gedo liked us.

Monday Night Rollins

Post by Monday Night Rollins » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:53 pm

There must be a Yano/Chuck Taylor match in the second round. PLEASE!!!

Nikk

Post by Nikk » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:51 pm

The Young Bucks vs the golden lovers has been added as a match for the March show in Cali

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:31 pm

So Strong Style Evolved has the following card:
Golden Lovers vs Young Bucks
Jay White vs Adam Page
Rey Mysterio vs Jushin Liger

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Oracle wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:31 pm
So Strong Style Evolved has the following card:
Golden Lovers vs Young Bucks
Jay White vs Adam Page
Rey Mysterio vs Jushin Liger
I'm trying to keep an open mind about White vs. Page. I don't hate either guy, but it just doesn't feel like a big match. Though one great match out of them and suddenly they could be next level like that. So I like that they're getting the opportunity.

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:35 pm

New Japan are keeping behind White. More interestingly, I think CHAOS will have a shake up this year and he will me the instigator. It’s not the biggest match but it’s a big opportunity for both guys.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:39 pm

I'm already a fan of Page, but he is still pretty young so he's got potential to grow even more. I think Joe is onto something in that one really big match could be his break out.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:56 am

Page is one of those guys that his work in NJPW has really made me come to love him.

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:05 pm

New Japan have a very good track record of polishing western talent in the last few years. Very few haven’t improved, and those guys usually don’t last long.

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:11 am

I’m slowly catching up on New Japan. The anniversary show was a fun mix of unique matches. YOSHI-HASHI v SANADA was good, Taichi looked so much better vs Naito, Makabe vs Suzuki was decent and Ospreay vs Okada was very good although it felt like it went a little too countertenor and lost the crowd at the end.

Monday Night Rollins

Post by Monday Night Rollins » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:48 am

The New Japan Cup this year was awesome. I'll keep this spoiler free. I'm very happy with the winner of it. His run through the cup was outstanding. Go out of your way to watch his matches in this.

Nikk

Post by Nikk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:25 am

This is the final lineup for Strong Style Evolved this weekend in CA

The Golden Lovers (Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

*IWGP U.S. Heavyweight champion Jay White vs. Hangman Page

*Jushin Liger vs. Will Ospreay.

*IWGP champion Kazuchika Okaka & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr. & Minoru Suzuki.

*Dragon Lee & Rysuke Taguchi & KUSHIDA & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. SANADA & Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi.

*Guerrillas of Destiny vs. Cody Rhodes & Marty Scurll.

*Chuckie T & Toru Yano & Killer Elite Squad.

*Gedo & Hirooki Goto vs. David Finlay & Juice Robinson.

*Roppongi 3.0 & Rocky Romero vs. Ring of Honor's So Cal Uncensored.

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Pretty good little show this weekend, would recommend to watch

Monday Night Rollins

Post by Monday Night Rollins » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:51 am

Pretty good? It was awesome IMO. Last 5 matches were all good to great in their own right. The main event was off the charts amazing.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:00 am

I need to rewatch the main but the 3rd fall fell apart for me because of all the exhaustion/collapsing they did. The talk during the build was they were going forever and they hadn't hit the 60 minute mark yet and were out of gas when you know given their history cardio was a huge part of training for this one. Omega during the post match interview though said that he knew he couldn't go past 60 no matter how much he trained and he was bluffing about going longer and Okada called him on it.

The first two falls were incredible with the stories of both going all out to get that first fall advantage and Omega desperate in the 2nd.

I was shocked at the result of the tag title match. I didn't think the Bucks would win in their first try (against LIJ) and when Nick hit the post, that would be the out with both being injured but they put on an incredible performance and meshed well with Evil/Sanada.

I love the Alpha Jericho that we've gotten in this run with New Japan. Just so different than his recent wwe runs. I'd prefer Sanada but Evil/Jericho could be fun.

I'm more than ready for another Takahashi/Ishimori after their BOSJ finals match.

Hopefully Rey sticks around as there's so many possible matchups for him. Surprised how the end went down for the 6 man given how the match came about.

This might be the 2nd year in a row where Dominion beats WrestleKingdom as the better show.

Monday Night Rollins

Post by Monday Night Rollins » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:32 pm

Keith6601 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:00 am
I need to rewatch the main but the 3rd fall fell apart for me because of all the exhaustion/collapsing they did. The talk during the build was they were going forever and they hadn't hit the 60 minute mark yet and were out of gas when you know given their history cardio was a huge part of training for this one. Omega during the post match interview though said that he knew he couldn't go past 60 no matter how much he trained and he was bluffing about going longer and Okada called him on it.

The first two falls were incredible with the stories of both going all out to get that first fall advantage and Omega desperate in the 2nd.

I was shocked at the result of the tag title match. I didn't think the Bucks would win in their first try (against LIJ) and when Nick hit the post, that would be the out with both being injured but they put on an incredible performance and meshed well with Evil/Sanada.

I love the Alpha Jericho that we've gotten in this run with New Japan. Just so different than his recent wwe runs. I'd prefer Sanada but Evil/Jericho could be fun.

I'm more than ready for another Takahashi/Ishimori after their BOSJ finals match.

Hopefully Rey sticks around as there's so many possible matchups for him. Surprised how the end went down for the 6 man given how the match came about.

This might be the 2nd year in a row where Dominion beats WrestleKingdom as the better show.
IMO this was their best match to date. Storytelling call backs to past matches. Everything about it was damn near perfect. The part of the match where Okada is slumped over the bottom rope & Omega crushes him with a V-Trigger was incredible. I've watched this match 3 times now, and I keep finding little things they did, they make the match mean so much more.

I know purists will find ways to shit all over the match. I truly believe that you have to put this series of matches on the same level as Flair/Steamboat, HBK/Taker & Joe/Punk as one of the greatest of all time, if not the greatest.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:40 am

Ummmm holy hell B Block for G1 is stacked!!!

A Block
Bad Luck Fale
EVIL
Hangman Page
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Jay White
Kazuchika Okada
Michael Elgin
Minoru Suzuki
Togi Makabe
YOSHI-HASHI

B Block
Hirooki Goto
Juice Robinson
Kenny Omega
Kota Ibushi
SANADA
Tama Tonga
Tetsuya Naito
Tomohiro Ishii
Toru Yano
Zack Sabre Jr

OMEGA vs IBUSHI I think it's a good move to do it here. They just mended fences with the Bucks to be the Golden Elite so to break them up for a show later this year or WK like people have been saying is too soon. Let them face each other during G1 as friends and then play off that match down the road.

SANADA, Naito, Ishii and Sabre are all capable of great matches any night and you add Robinson who's been on a roll along with Goto who has put on good matches lately even though I'm not a fan of him. Hell, Yano/Sabre should be really fun.

A Block gives us Tanahashi/Okada again as well as EVIL and Suzuki thrown into the mix for some fun matchups.

I'm going with SANADA and Tanahashi taking the blocks with Tanahashi taking the tournament as I think SANADA is headed for Jericho at WK, probably making the save for EVIL to set it up the same way EVIL just did Naito.