The Territories

Moderator: Puns

Joe

The Territories

Post by Joe »

I’ve always wanted to do this but feel like I never have the time. Now free time is all I’ve got!

I’m starting with January 16, 1982.

The Network has the TV shows for Mid-Atlantic and Mid-South, sadly not WCCW for this week. But there is an All Star Wrestling for this week, and WWWF was still basically a territory at this point so let’s do it!

I’m just saying, in terms of star power, Mid South has to be in the lead. Mid Atlantic had Terry Taylor. Mid South had Ernie Ladd, Afa and Sika vs Andre, Dusty and JYD. That’s huge! And in their one hour, Mid-South had me excited for the Ernie Ladd and JYD feud.

All Star has a Jesse Ventura match, which is kind of fun since I’m honestly not sure I’ve ever seen a Ventura match before.

I’m easily giving the win this week to Mid South. They had the most interesting show with angles that actually have me excited for the next episode.
Keith6601

Re: The Territories

Post by Keith6601 »

Oh I'm all in for this! Mid-South, Mid-Atlantic/JCP and WCCW are all awesome as you see the older stars and you have guys that became stars in wwf later on. JCP 84-88 is my favorite era in wrestling, let alone guys like Orton, Flair, Slater, Race, Wahoo, Steamboat and Piper in 82/83, Mid-South has tremendous feuds and still one of the best matches and WCCW has Von Erics/Freebirds as well as Hernandez, Adams, Parsons, Garvin etc.

Mid-South and Mid-Atlantic will trade wins until WCCW kicks up Von Eric/Flair/Freebirds later in the year.

Is there a place that has the shows chronologically to make it easy or are you just basically going through the promotions and finding the same weekly dates? EDIT: Nevermind, found a list on reddit.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Keith6601 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:56 pm Oh I'm all in for this! Mid-South, Mid-Atlantic/JCP and WCCW are all awesome as you see the older stars and you have guys that became stars in wwf later on. JCP 84-88 is my favorite era in wrestling, let alone guys like Orton, Flair, Slater, Race, Wahoo, Steamboat and Piper in 82/83, Mid-South has tremendous feuds and still one of the best matches and WCCW has Von Erics/Freebirds as well as Hernandez, Adams, Parsons, Garvin etc.

Mid-South and Mid-Atlantic will trade wins until WCCW kicks up Von Eric/Flair/Freebirds later in the year.

Is there a place that has the shows chronologically to make it easy or are you just basically going through the promotions and finding the same weekly dates? EDIT: Nevermind, found a list on reddit.
I was doing the former, so please share the list!

I’m just going forward from the week I started with now.
Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 »

Puns
Location: In my mom’s basement I steal her wifi and I pay no rent

Post by Puns »

Have you guys seen much from the Memphis territory? I was checking out some super early Cornette stuff on YouTube and it was all Memphis and it was all pretty decent, but Corny had yet to find himself. He was so young and meek compared to where he’d be even a year or two later. Really goes to show how much working every night in front of thousands of people will help you improve your craft, especially when it was the same people at the same places every week so you were forced to change up what you said and did so you didn’t become bland or boring. I really wanna see more of Lawler and Dundee.
Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 »

Memphis has always been on the list to check out more in depth as I've only really seen Kaufman/Lawler and some other well known matches/feuds from the area.
ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON »

I was a couple of years into the big Memphis set before I moved and somehow got the discs out of order and forgot where I was at. What I saw was good to great. I think I got up to 84? But it's been awhile and I've got memory issues so...
Puns

Post by Puns »

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:34 pm I was a couple of years into the big Memphis set before I moved and somehow got the discs out of order and forgot where I was at. What I saw was good to great. I think I got up to 84? But it's been awhile and I've got memory issues so...
Where did ya get the Memphis set?
Puns

Post by Puns »

One of the biggest heartbreakers of the territory system is that Southeastern Championship Wrestling’s owner Run Fuller reusing/taping over the master tapes for his shows. It was far cheaper for them to do it that way, plus that’s the way it had always been done up to that point. There is a huge chunk of territory wrestling history that’s been lost to time because of that. Ron Fuller has a podcast where he talks about Southeastern and it’s pretty cool to hear him talk about all the old booking stuff and old wrestling tales.