WCW 1997

Moderator: Puns

Azmodeous

Re: WCW 1997

Post by Azmodeous »

Joe wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am I finished Starrcade.

The last two matches were two of the most WCW things I've ever seen. Zybysko vs. Bischoff wasn't half bad, and I seem to hate Larry a lot less in my adult years than I did as a kid. But man, Scott Hall loading Bischoff's foot guard with a weapon that literally went flying through the air and out of the ring as he tried to hit Zybysko with it...that was so incredibly bad. Like, wrestlecrap bad. Botchamania bad. WWF may not have felt as big time as WCW did at this time (maybe even just in terms of how they filmed the product) but they never had anything look that incredibly sloppy either.

And then there's Sting vs. Hogan. The biggest match in the history of our sport. Something felt really underwhelming from the moment Sting came out to the ring. And the match itself was so slow for something that felt like it should have been a brawl. I mean, I mostly just remember headlocks. There was some outside of the ring fighting that was okay, but overall its a snore. And then Hogan pins Sting. Clean. Clear. I've heard a lot about this botched finish, thanks Tony Schiovone and Conrad Thompson, but still seeing it for myself was something completely different. Like, it's jarring. You see the hand hit for the three and its just over...except Bret Hart claims it was a fast count, restarts the match because there will be no referees screwing guys over in world title matches on his watch (I wish that had legit become his gimmick), and Sting ends up with the belt.

Just. So. Bad.
My memory is fuzzy on this but didn't Hogan balk at being cleanly pinned the day of the show and envoked his creative control clause (the fact that any wrestler had that is mind boggling to me to this day) and they had to scramble to come up with this finish to keep all parties happy?
Joe

Post by Joe »

Azmodeous wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:40 pm
Joe wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am I finished Starrcade.

The last two matches were two of the most WCW things I've ever seen. Zybysko vs. Bischoff wasn't half bad, and I seem to hate Larry a lot less in my adult years than I did as a kid. But man, Scott Hall loading Bischoff's foot guard with a weapon that literally went flying through the air and out of the ring as he tried to hit Zybysko with it...that was so incredibly bad. Like, wrestlecrap bad. Botchamania bad. WWF may not have felt as big time as WCW did at this time (maybe even just in terms of how they filmed the product) but they never had anything look that incredibly sloppy either.

And then there's Sting vs. Hogan. The biggest match in the history of our sport. Something felt really underwhelming from the moment Sting came out to the ring. And the match itself was so slow for something that felt like it should have been a brawl. I mean, I mostly just remember headlocks. There was some outside of the ring fighting that was okay, but overall its a snore. And then Hogan pins Sting. Clean. Clear. I've heard a lot about this botched finish, thanks Tony Schiovone and Conrad Thompson, but still seeing it for myself was something completely different. Like, it's jarring. You see the hand hit for the three and its just over...except Bret Hart claims it was a fast count, restarts the match because there will be no referees screwing guys over in world title matches on his watch (I wish that had legit become his gimmick), and Sting ends up with the belt.

Just. So. Bad.
My memory is fuzzy on this but didn't Hogan balk at being cleanly pinned the day of the show and envoked his creative control clause (the fact that any wrestler had that is mind boggling to me to this day) and they had to scramble to come up with this finish to keep all parties happy?
So what seems to be what happened as far as I can tell is Nick Patrick was supposed to do a fast count and Hogan told him to do a normal count. It ruins the entire angle.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

That should have never been Hogan's call in the first place...
Joe

Post by Joe »

Azmodeous wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:47 pm That should have never been Hogan's call in the first place...
Agreed. Hogan having creative control was a horrible idea. And then Nash was allowed to no show the biggest show of the year where he was going to be in one of the top three matches. The inmates running the asylum...
Puns
Location: In my mom’s basement I steal her wifi and I pay no rent

Post by Puns »

Joe wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:49 pm Finally made it to December! Let’s go Starrcade!

And Sting...nowhere to be found.

Unrelated, Raven has been my favorite thing in WCW in the last few months. His character works so well at the start here. And his flock building has been perfect. I loved the little story with Scotty Riggs. And now they’re feuding with Benoit. Which started with a Benoit vs Kidman match here that was quite good!
Benoit beat the shit out of Kidman there with those chops. He also brutalized Lodi’s chest in a match a week later.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Puns wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:59 pm
Joe wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:49 pm Finally made it to December! Let’s go Starrcade!

And Sting...nowhere to be found.

Unrelated, Raven has been my favorite thing in WCW in the last few months. His character works so well at the start here. And his flock building has been perfect. I loved the little story with Scotty Riggs. And now they’re feuding with Benoit. Which started with a Benoit vs Kidman match here that was quite good!
Benoit beat the shit out of Kidman there with those chops. He also brutalized Lodi’s chest in a match a week later.
Yes! I legit loved this whole feud. No clue if it continues into January, but I hope so.
Puns

Post by Puns »

You’re a little bit farther than me, but if I remember correctly from watching wcw growing up, I think I remember a match with Raven and Benoit on ppv, plus another guy I won’t name yet so I don’t ruin anything.
Puns

Post by Puns »

So Joe!

In your opinion who was the mvp of 1997 in wcw?
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

This is all based on memory but I remember Dallas Page, Benoit, Malenko, and Guerrero being the must watch guys that year.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Puns wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:11 am So Joe!

In your opinion who was the mvp of 1997 in wcw?
Been thinking about this a lot! Azzy hits the nail on the head when he names DDP, Benoit, Malenko, and Guerrero. I'd add Mysterio for sure too. And maybe even Savage, who was probably the most dependable big name/nWo member when it came to delivering an actually good in-ring match.

DDP may take the cake though. Dude went from nobody to major player in 1997. And he stood out in a great way. Even main evented a few times. And him and Savage definitely had the feud of the year.
Puns

Post by Puns »

Yeah, I’m with you guys on DDP. He was a ton of fun to watch all year long. Loved how he worked with taped ribs every night because he legitimately had busted ribs during the time from a Macho Man elbow, if I remember right.