Conspiracies

Stuff

Moderator: Puns

Puns
Location: In my mom’s basement I steal her wifi and I pay no rent

Re: Conspiracies

Post by Puns »

You see how they fuck us around with shit like insurance, health care, ridiculous college prices, insane prices on houses and groceries always going up. I wouldn’t be surprised if the goal is to make us as miserable as possible. There has to be some way they are benefiting off of our misery. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone sometimes decides we’ve had enough internet and shut it down to watch us all freak out and revel in the disaster it causes.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Such a thing would be super interesting. I don't think you'd be able to the whole nation all at once but maybe a region of the country would take a hit. When would it happen? Could you imagine something fishy happening during an election period?
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

Does the fact that the Obama's produced a Netflix movie about knocking out the internet and destroying America from within give anyone else pause, or is it just me?
Puns

Post by Puns »

Nah, that’s at the very least mildly sketchy at the worst preparation. I also don’t know anything about it other than what you wrote hahaha.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

Like, I wanted to see if because I was a huge fan of Mr Robot and the guy who created that show and directed most of the episodes directed the movie. My eyebrow raised a few inches higher than usual when I saw Barak and Michelle Obama listed as executive producers. By the end alarm bells were going off in my head.
ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON »

Obama was secretly behind January 6.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Azmodeous wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:52 pm Does the fact that the Obama's produced a Netflix movie about knocking out the internet and destroying America from within give anyone else pause, or is it just me?
I watched that movie and was incredibly let down by the ending.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

Anyone else feel woefully unprepared if things go south? I'm not even talking about fighting or weapons training either. I feel like there are certain skills that would be very useful like carpentry, gardening, sewing, etc. should the world go south. I'm not really adept at any of these things (did some gardening in my preteens but have lost a lot of that knowledge over the decades) and ponder learning some of this stuff.
Puns

Post by Puns »

Yeah I’m not capable of living off the land or hunting for my own food. I’m the opposite of an outdoorsman. I’m a video game playing nerd. I can do all sorts of technology based things but who gives a shit about technology when the infrastructure has been destroyed and none of it works without the internet.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

Has anyone ever heard of dead Internet theory? I've always felt like the online experience has suffered immensely over the last nearly decade and this could be a major reason for it:

"The dead Internet theory is an online conspiracy theory that asserts that the Internet now consists mainly of bot activity and automatically generated content that is manipulated by algorithmic curation, marginalizing organic human activity.[1][2][3][4] Proponents of the theory believe these bots are created intentionally to help manipulate algorithms and boost search results in order to ultimately manipulate consumers.[3][5] Furthermore, some proponents of the theory accuse government agencies of using bots to manipulate public perception, stating: "The U.S. government is engaging in an artificial intelligence powered gaslighting of the entire world population."[1][3] The date given for this "death" is generally around 2016 or 2017."
Puns

Post by Puns »

Man all this artificial intelligence stuff scares the shit outta me. How long until it is smarter than anyone in the human race that has ever lived? How long do we have until we’ve got Terminators and T-1000s running around shooting shotguns and riding Harleys and running all fast and junk? What year was the future that T-1000 came from to kill John Connor in Terminator 2? We might not have long.

With AI is there a theoretical moment in its advancement in which the ever increasing intelligence has to choose between good will and malice?

I know I’m not talking to AI with a bunch of people here on account of face to face meetings, so that is comforting.
-mp-

Post by -mp- »

I think Sarah Connor said Judgment Day was in 1997 or 1998 or something like that so yeah I guess we dodged that bullet
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

It's weird, so much of the stuff that I used to love checking out online 15-20 years ago has either been taken down, brought out by a major corporation and turned into mindless lists or ad riddled articles that talk in circles to describe a tweet. Not to mention the mass migration of online traffic to social media leaving websites suffer and become more sensationalized to draw clicks. It's an unhealthy ecosystem, especially when you start adding bots to social media to drive engagement and the easiest way to do that is through outrage.
Puns

Post by Puns »

-mp- wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:54 pm I think Sarah Connor said Judgment Day was in 1997 or 1998 or something like that so yeah I guess we dodged that bullet
Well, WWF Judgment Day teeeechnically took place on October 18, 1998.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

Open AI jumping into realistic AI generated video is harrowing to me. There's almost no way this doesn't end up being used against political dissidents to lock them up and silence any further resistance to the growing fascism abroad.
Puns

Post by Puns »

Azmodeous wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:11 am Open AI jumping into realistic AI generated video is harrowing to me. There's almost no way this doesn't end up being used against political dissidents to lock them up and silence any further resistance to the growing fascism abroad.
I JUST saw a video from 2017 of Julian Assange speaking and his collar folds and unfolds. If someone is watching a video of him speaking and they’re not paying clear attention to him they might miss it. And this video is from 7 years ago now. The tech that we get is generally way way behind the government/military tech. If artificial intelligence has developed to this state this quickly, how long have we been voting for AI and believing things that have not actually happened?

In 2013 the Smith-Mundt anti-propaganda law was amended which allows the American government to freely use propaganda on American citizens domestically. Prior to that, it had been illegal. Definitely used against us, but it was illegal. I know domestic propaganda has been used since forever, but how out in the open the lies are now, coupled with AI and mis- and disinformation posted constantly online by bots and bad faith actors, how are we supposed to ever determine what the truth is?