Random General Wrestling Discussion

Moderator: Puns

Azmodeous

Re: Random General Wrestling Discussion

Post by Azmodeous »

Puns wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:57 am What’s a crazy wwe hill you’re willing to die on?

Mine is that Goldberg would have never become a 3 time WWE champion or even ever made it to the WWE at all if he had hair. He’d have never become a star. I’ve seen pictures of him when he was in the nfl and had hair. He wasn’t intimidating, even with his big scary muscles. He looked like a dweeb! Go read some books about the differences between good guy and bad guy Star Trek vehicles, dork!
Vince McMahon was never that good of a booker, he made up for that in his promotion and business skills.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

I'd be willing to bet McMahon has never considered himself a "booker" in any sense of the word. If McMahon had to label himself close to that it would just be "promoter".
Puns
Location: In my mom’s basement I steal her wifi and I pay no rent

Post by Puns »

That sounds right. To me it’s like Vince thought he was always above the wrestling business. Something like “booker” is a term for people in the wrestling business. His family was a line of promoters so that’s what he was as well. Pat Patterson was a booker, as was. Bruce Pritchard, Jim Cornette and Vince Russo. They bounced ideas off the promoter who ultimately had the final decision.

When do you think Vince “lost it”? He was good for so long, but there came a point where everything in wwe seemed extremely cookie cutter and paint by numbers. When do you guys think that started?
Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 »

Purchasing WCW. Lack of competition means he can pretty do whatever and not worry about losing fans because he was the only game in town.
Puns

Post by Puns »

I mean, look at how ass the entire Invasion was. They should have let the guys that come in develop some personality and done the actual Invasion whenever everyone was available. Can you imagine if they’d waited until early 2003 when Goldberg came in? We’d have had Flair, Hogan, Nash, Hall, Steiner, Booker, Goldberg, DDP. That group alone would have been much, much better than what we got with wwf guys defecting.
Roxxxas

Post by Roxxxas »

Or just waited one week later to start it because it would’ve been Atlanta instead of in Washington.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

If the rumors are true this could be the most Monday night war feeling week in decades with big returns and debuts.
GardenStateSaint

Azmodeous wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:47 pm If the rumors are true this could be the most Monday night war feeling week in decades with big returns and debuts.
I remember the MNW feeling the day HBK & Bret Hart made up on RAW going up against Impact, which was live at the time.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

I remember watching that, it felt so surreal to see at the time.
Puns

Post by Puns »

What years were the peak of Ric Flair’s career?
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

82-92
Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 »

83-87
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

Okada is a free agent and is leaving NJPW. It'll be interesting to see if he winds up in WWE or AEW.
Puns

Post by Puns »

Wow! I did not see him leaving New Japan! Will he be the first Japanese WWE champion? They seemingly missed the boat with Nakamura. Or does he go to AEW? I guess if I had to pick I’d hope he would end up in WWE because of the exposure and he deserves to be seen by more people but I could also realistically also see him head to AEW. I don’t care either way, tho. He’s really really good.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

The general temperature I've seen the past few days seems to indicate that Okada is leaning towards AEW but a lot of fans want him to go to WWE. I think his wife being such a a big star in Japan is going to make him want to stay living in Japan while WWE is almost certainly going to want him to move to Florida.
Puns

Post by Puns »

Where can he make more money?

Where could he have better matches, AEW or WWE?

Which of those do you think is more important to him?
Iamspiderman

Post by Iamspiderman »

I think WWE is more $ but AEW lets him prob keep closer to the life him and his wife (who is more famous than him) have in Japan.
Roxxxas

Post by Roxxxas »

A good WWE run could improve his star power even more than he already has in Japan. Just depends what his endgame is, to raise his profile and come back for a bigger opportunity in some fashion or to make $ out of the gate and fly constantly weekly.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

Rossy Ogawa trying to pull a Todd Gordon on Stardom.
GardenStateSaint

Looks like Billy Jack Haynes is due for some hard times.