Last movie or TV show you watched

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Re: Last movie or TV show you watched

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:58 pm

Top Dog

I'd say it's the worst Chuck Norris flick, but I remember Sidekicks being pretty ass and the Cutter is shit (never saw the one where Chuck is a hippie living in the Forest but I assume that's shit too). There's a middling Chuck Norris action flick in here somewhere (which by itself would be fine) but it tries to be a kid flick and a screwball comedy, with brutal murders and a pretty serious villain, a white supremacist terrorist, which is even more disturbing now with some of Puns's favorite uncle's campaign propaganda pretty much word for word from the villain's hate speeches...like its eerie. Plus its the first time I can remember seeing an obvious stunt double for Chuck. I love Chuck's flicks but this just made me sad.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:32 pm

The Hurricane Heist

Yeah, I have hurricanes on the mind.
I kind of love the sheer stupidity of it, but I hate the asinine fake southern accents. At least I know where Puns's favorite uncle got that Alabama was in danger from the Hurricane (he must have seen Hurricane Heist and thought it was the weather channel).

GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:25 am

I don't know the first thing about Action Bronson but I did just watch some of his show on Viceland only because RVD and Sabu was on it.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:25 pm

Big Top Pee Wee

it's not a sequel to Pee Wee's Big Adventure. it has Pee Wee in it yes, but it's more an Ernest movie if created by an army of semi intelligent evil ants.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:38 am

Watching the free view of the first episode of Pennyworth. It's quite good, which is a shame really, as I won't be subscribing to another subscription service.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:09 am

Apocalypse Now: The Final Cut

It's a good mix of keeping the pacing of the theatrical cut while adding in scenes from Redux that actually aided the story. It's damn near perfect except for one scene that drags the momentum the film down. The theatrical cut is still my preferred way to view this film.

Also, the new 4K remaster is gorgeous, it's one of those experiences that feels like you're watching a film be projected on your television.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:45 am

Azmodeous wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:09 am

It's a good mix of keeping the pacing of the theatrical cut while adding in scenes from Redux that actually aided the story. It's damn near perfect except for one scene that drags the momentum the film down. The theatrical cut is still my preferred way to view this film.

Also, the new 4K remaster is gorgeous, it's one of those experiences that feels like you're watching a film be projected on your television.
Are you talking about the Plantation scene?

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:31 pm

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:45 am
Azmodeous wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:09 am

Are you talking about the Plantation scene?
Yeah, I know what it's trying to convey, but it just drags the film down unnecessarily in my opinion. Still, it's a lot tighter of an experience than Redux though.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters.

Dumb, my goodness is it dumb, but a lot can be forgiven in my opinion if it looks like people are having fun. Boy does it look like everybody had a blast making this movie. Fame Jansen especially was hamming it up as the main villain here.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:17 am

Ralph Breaks The Internet

I enjoyed the original movie well enough but this one went Pixar levels on the emotional resonance. For a movie that could have just thrown fan-service internet references through, they really go out of the way to make sure the core of this film is about the characters and their friendship and what it means to be a good friend. Also the animation is top-notch here.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:18 am

Highway to Hell

When 2 young kids decide to run away to Vegas to get married, they decide to take a back road only to encounter the HellCop who kidnaps the girl and takes her to Hell. The guy has to go into Hell to rescue her and chaos ensues. I had never seen this before, but man is it a great slab of late 80s/early 90s cheese.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:22 am

John Wick 3.

From a story and a technical standpoint, this is an incredible film. The attention to detail in fight choreography to the way it's shot so that you can clearly see everything that's happening just makes it so much more of an enjoyable experience. Sure, the series has become a bit more convoluted since the more straightforward first film but the film goes to great depths to ensure you can follow along and the pacing is top-notch. Highly recommended

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:18 am

Kill or Be Killed (1976)

I always heard this wasnt as good as the sequel, but honestly, taken on it's own it's a pretty great piece of action trash, with a plot point of a hidden tournament to the death being featured in countless martial arts flicks, it's the character of Chico the former Circus Clown that separates it and elevates it to another level. While the action does deliver, it takes a while to get there and of course the acting is terrible...with the exception of the Little Person Chico. A master of emoting, we see the turmoil as he is torn between who he thought was his only friend, the evil Nazi General putting on the tournament for his own self gratification, and Steve and Olga, the only really good people who have treated him with love and decency. Not to mention Chico is an accomplished martial artist himself. Check this out of Amazon Prime if low budget action/martial art flicks are your jam (like they are mine).

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:08 pm

Azmodeous wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:22 am
John Wick 3.

From a story and a technical standpoint, this is an incredible film. The attention to detail in fight choreography to the way it's shot so that you can clearly see everything that's happening just makes it so much more of an enjoyable experience. Sure, the series has become a bit more convoluted since the more straightforward first film but the film goes to great depths to ensure you can follow along and the pacing is top-notch. Highly recommended
I honestly enjoyed the second and third movies far more than the first thanks to the story. The first one was TOO straight forward for me.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:17 pm

Joe wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:08 pm
Azmodeous wrote:
John Wick 3.

I honestly enjoyed the second and third movies far more than the first thanks to the story. The first one was TOO straight forward for me.
I appreciate that the action ramps up between films, and John Wick 3 is easily my top film of the year, but I do feel like it loses something the more they expand on the mythology. Its not just the straightforwardness of the first one, there's a mysteriousness to the way the world works in the first one that's lost the more they explain.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:54 am

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:17 pm
Joe wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:08 pm
Azmodeous wrote:
John Wick 3.

I appreciate that the action ramps up between films, and John Wick 3 is easily my top film of the year, but I do feel like it loses something the more they expand on the mythology. It's not just the straightforwardness of the first one, there's a mysteriousness to the way the world works in the first one that's lost the more they explain.
Bingo. The first film felt like a straightforward action film in a well thought out world with a set of clearly established rules. There was a mystique to it that is lost a bit when you begin to peel the layers back a bit. Still, this is a top-notch series that more action films should aspire to, if only from a technical standpoint.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:14 pm

BlacKkKlansman

This is probably my favorite Spike Lee film since The 25th Hour. Such a good balance of serious themes with well-placed humor and a story that is still painfully relevant over 40 years later. Highly recommended.

P.S. I love when filmmakers go to painstaking detail to create the aesthetic of the time period that the film. Everything from the vehicles to the film stock (if it's digital they did a great job recreating the film grain look) to the color timing feels like the 70's.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Yeah, BlacKKKlansman was my 2nd favorite movie of the year.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:15 pm

Shadowbuilder

I've been avoiding talking about what I've been watching in October, but holy shit...this is such a delicious slice of late 90s action/horror cheese with Micheal Rooker's gun toting priest battling a shadow demon tormenting a small town as it tries to take a special child's soul. And it has Tony Todd as some kind of grunge pirate so there's that.

Puns

Post by Puns » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:29 pm

Anyone see Midsommar?

That shit had me on edge the whole time.