WCW 1998!

Moderator: Puns

Joe

Re: WCW 1998!

Post by Joe »

Checking out Thunder from 5/26! Featuring the continued measuring contest between Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan for control of the nWo or something. But they’ll be teaming up tonight against Sting and Lex Luger so Hogan can prove to Nash that he has his back. At least Nash got to “shoot” during their promo and ask why his buddy Syxx doesn’t have a job anymore if Hogan is calling the shots around there. Don’t worry Kevin, Waltman will be employed in a few days somewhere...

Meanwhile, Goldberg is up to win number 62! Jerry Flynn is on loss 127. I’m estimating on Flynn. WCW was totally not just making numbers up for Goldberg. Totally not.

There’s moments where Thunder feels like the WCW version of Smackdown, where matches like Psycosis vs Billy Kidman get to live and breathe. It’s nothing incredible but it gets more time to shine here than it would on Nitro. Same for the Benoit vs Chavo and Prince Iaukea vs La Parka, though the latter did make me go damn, WCW really kept trying to make Prince Iaukea happen.

But then there’s Jim Neidhart and the British Bulldog vs Curt Hennig and Bryan Adams, which isn’t awful on paper, but becomes just such a mess and has one of the weirdest finishes. All four guys just kind of leave the ring and run backstage, not exactly brawling. And the referee throws it out. Because he didn’t want to see anymore either. Not all heroes wear capes.

I have to say from a story perspective, Eddie Guerrero vs Booker T was awesome. There’s no match really, but check this story. So it’s supposed to be Chavo vs Booker for the TV title but Chavo has to do whatever Eddie says, and Eddie decides Chavo should give the shot to him. Eddie tries to cheat soon as the bell rings with a pair of brass knuckles, and throws them to Chavo, but Booker kicks out. Chavo tried to throw the knucks back to Eddie to try again, and Eddie fails at catching them, so the referee sees the weapon and disqualifies Eddie! And obviously it’s Chavo’s fault in Eddie’s eyes. Tell me that’s not great storytelling!

The main event is the greatest in the history of this great sport, or at least it’s not bad. Mostly because Sting and Luger work hard, and because the story with Hogan and Nash actually is decent. Crazy to say that there was good, logical booking going on here! WCW, who are you??
Puns
Location: In my mom’s basement I steal her wifi and I pay no rent

Post by Puns »

Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero took on Dean Malenko and Chavo Guerrero on Monday Nitro from 2/9/1998. Hell of a match. Every single one of those guys is among the best workers of their generation on guys. They showcased their talents in this one.

That show also has the infamous Steve (William) Regal be Bill Goldberg match that got Regal fired from WCW for exposing Goldberg. I saw no shooting from Regal, didn’t look like he was overly stiff with him or anything. Just seemed to me to be Regal trying to have a wrestling match and Goldberg not knowing how. They also didn’t seem to have any chemistry. Goldberg speared the shit out of Regal in this!
Puns

Post by Puns »

February 22, 1998 at Superbrawl we got the official beginning of Big Poppa Pump.
Last edited by Puns on Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puns

Post by Puns »

Lol so I was wrong. We didn’t get Big Poppa Pump yet. On the first Thunder after his heel turn, hair bleaching and nWo joining Buff Bagwell does a lousy Michael Buffer introduction for Scott Steiner and introduces him as “White Thunder.” I remember watching this show when it aired. 1998 was basically the height of my childhood wrestling fandom and I remember stuff from this era very clearly. However, I don’t remember “White Thunder” Scott Steiner. Tony Schiavone even refers to him as White Thunder during the match. On the previous Monday Nitro Scott Steiner wins his match with a Frankensteiner. On Thunder he debuts the Steiner Recliner. Pretty cool to witness the evolution of this character again. I’ve been slowly watching my way through all the Nitros and ppvs from 95 on and Thunders when they start, and the Steiners went through a lot during that time.

I really wonder how his career would have changed if he’d have stayed “White Thunder” Scott Steiner. Lol
Joe

Post by Joe »

Puns wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:02 pm Lol so I was wrong. We didn’t get Big Poppa Pump yet. On the first Thunder after his heel turn, hair bleaching and nWo joining Buff Bagwell does a lousy Michael Buffer introduction for Scott Steiner and introduces him as “White Thunder.” I remember watching this show when it aired. 1998 was basically the height of my childhood wrestling fandom and I remember stuff from this era very clearly. However, I don’t remember “White Thunder” Scott Steiner. Tony Schiavone even refers to him as White Thunder during the match. On the previous Monday Nitro Scott Steiner wins his match with a Frankensteiner. On Thunder he debuts the Steiner Recliner. Pretty cool to witness the evolution of this character again. I’ve been slowly watching my way through all the Nitros and ppvs from 95 on and Thunders when they start, and the Steiners went through a lot during that time.

I really wonder how his career would have changed if he’d have stayed “White Thunder” Scott Steiner. Lol
I just looked up the phrase White Thunder on Urban Dictionary...

“An explosive load of semen excreted from a man's penis after a lack of sexual interaction.”

That makes “White Thunder” Scott Steiner so much better.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

Joe wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:28 am
Puns wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:02 pm Lol so I was wrong. We didn’t get Big Poppa Pump yet. On the first Thunder after his heel turn, hair bleaching and nWo joining Buff Bagwell does a lousy Michael Buffer introduction for Scott Steiner and introduces him as “White Thunder.” I remember watching this show when it aired. 1998 was basically the height of my childhood wrestling fandom and I remember stuff from this era very clearly. However, I don’t remember “White Thunder” Scott Steiner. Tony Schiavone even refers to him as White Thunder during the match. On the previous Monday Nitro Scott Steiner wins his match with a Frankensteiner. On Thunder he debuts the Steiner Recliner. Pretty cool to witness the evolution of this character again. I’ve been slowly watching my way through all the Nitros and ppvs from 95 on and Thunders when they start, and the Steiners went through a lot during that time.

I just looked up the phrase White Thunder on Urban Dictionary...

“An explosive load of semen excreted from a man's penis after a lack of sexual interaction.”

That makes “White Thunder” Scott Steiner so much better.
That's incredible, especially since this was around the time standards and practices at Turner broadcasting were really cracking down on language and violence in WCW. They probably had no idea, though I bet Steiner knew exactly what it meant.
Puns

Post by Puns »

Hahahahahahaha wow I wish he had stayed White Thunder now.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Puns wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 pm Hahahahahahaha wow I wish he had stayed White Thunder now.
At the very least it makes me not want to go to his Shonie’s. :lol:
Puns

Post by Puns »

Lol on the March 26, 1998 episode of Thunder Tony Schiavone called Scott Steiner “Big Daddy Pump.” Seems they didn’t quite know wtf to call him after his heel turn.
Puns

Post by Puns »

Okay, in the ongoing saga of wtf will the wcw call Scott Steiner they finally refer to him as Big Poppa Pump on the April 6, 1998 Nitro.
Puns

Post by Puns »

On the 4/27/98 episode of Nitro Saturn debuted his new finisher, the Death Valley driver.
Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 »

During one of the Starrcast introductions I think it was Scott Hudson mentioned how he called Steiner "White Thunder" when he dyed the hair and after getting to the back to Steiner, it was pretty much yeah not doing that again cuz I want to live. :lol:
Puns

Post by Puns »

Scott Steiner seems a little bit insane. Is insane technically the right word, though? Maybe once he gets into character he becomes the character. Is he a great actor? Lol I dunno. Maybe it’s that he’s volatile? I know Tony Schiavone has said on multiple episodes of WHW that he was pretty terrified of Steiner. Which, I mean, makes a lot of sense. You hear about a guy tying someone up and shoving sharpies up their ass, you tend to steer clear of that person. Unless you want a sharpie in the pooper, I guess.

I met Steiner back in 2006 at some random show and asked for his autograph and he just said “20 bucks.” I didn’t want his autograph enough to pay for it so I moved on. I immediately ran into Raven and he said that he saw it and Scott “has always been a dick” and gave me his autograph for free.