New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Joe
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Joe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:56 am

What do you guys think the ceiling is for a guy like Shingo in New Japan?

Keith6601
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Keith6601 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Joe wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:56 am
What do you guys think the ceiling is for a guy like Shingo in New Japan?
I don't think there is one. I could see him working his way up from jr tag to jr to ic to iwgp. He's big enough to buy against most of the guys they have now and he's already a huge star so he's only going to go up.

Joe
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Joe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:18 am

I saw Robbie Eagles for the first time on the ROH Honor Rising Night 2 show yesterday. As I messaged Bern, I feel like Eagles has the look of a local wrestler who works at your local high school, but has the talent of someone who definitely belongs in New Japan. I want to see more of him!

Joe
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Joe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:24 am

I’m actually pretty exciting for the Anniversary Show coming up on March 6. The top four matches look great!

-Liger vs Ishimori for the Jr. Heavyweight Title

-SHO and YOH vs Shingo and BUSHI for the Jr. Heavyweight Tag Title

-Goto, Tanahashi and Okada vs EVIL, SANADA and Naito

-White vs Ospreay non-title

These could be really fun!

Keith6601
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Keith6601 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:55 pm

I was hoping we'd see them continue the heavyweight vs jr champs with White/Ishimori.

Joe
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Joe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:34 pm

Keith6601 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:55 pm
I was hoping we'd see them continue the heavyweight vs jr champs with White/Ishimori.
I think Ospreay will provide the better match. He’s on the cusp of being a heavyweight contender anyway.

Keith6601
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Keith6601 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:07 pm

Image

Are you friggin kidding me??? So much potential for greatness. It has to come down to Ibushi/Okada right?

Interesting that both Naito and Ibushi have talked about NJC now making it a big thing for them and yet they're meeting in the first round.

Ishii is a sleeper candidate if he gets past Taichi who seems to be the big push lately. Ishii/Okada would be awesome.

Umino/Tanahashi will be fun.

Joe
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Joe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:55 pm

I think Ishii would have a shot at winning any other year, but as much as he might be my favorite guy in NJPW, he’s not big enough to main event the MSG show.

I think Okada or Ibushi for sure. Part of me is expecting Okada and for him to win the belt back at MSG. Mostly because I had read that rumor was Omega was probably going to drop the belt to Okada at MSG, so I’m thinking they’re still going with an Okada win. Which would make sense and be huge for the MSG show.

Keith6601
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Keith6601 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:35 pm

I don't think they'd have White win musty to drop it in his first defense. If it's Okada, another Tanahashi match would have been perfect for the MSG show.

Jimthy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Jimthy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:14 am

Joe wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:55 pm
I think Ishii would have a shot at winning any other year, but as much as he might be my favorite guy in NJPW, he’s not big enough to main event the MSG show.

I think Okada or Ibushi for sure. Part of me is expecting Okada and for him to win the belt back at MSG. Mostly because I had read that rumor was Omega was probably going to drop the belt to Okada at MSG, so I’m thinking they’re still going with an Okada win. Which would make sense and be huge for the MSG show.
I can't see them doing that to Jay White...would kill the momentum they've built with him. If they were going back to Okada with the belt, than just don't switch it to White, and do Okada/Tanahashi at MSG. Since they moved it to White, I expect a decent length reign from him. They don't hot potato the IWGP title often, so I'd be shocked to see two losses in a row on first defenses.

Joe
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:51 am

Jimthy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:14 am
Joe wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:55 pm
I think Ishii would have a shot at winning any other year, but as much as he might be my favorite guy in NJPW, he’s not big enough to main event the MSG show.

I think Okada or Ibushi for sure. Part of me is expecting Okada and for him to win the belt back at MSG. Mostly because I had read that rumor was Omega was probably going to drop the belt to Okada at MSG, so I’m thinking they’re still going with an Okada win. Which would make sense and be huge for the MSG show.
I can't see them doing that to Jay White...would kill the momentum they've built with him. If they were going back to Okada with the belt, than just don't switch it to White, and do Okada/Tanahashi at MSG. Since they moved it to White, I expect a decent length reign from him. They don't hot potato the IWGP title often, so I'd be shocked to see two losses in a row on first defenses.
See but at the same time if Okada does go in as the challenger at MSG, I can’t see him losing to White yet again.

Joe
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:55 am

Looks like Liger is retiring at Wrestle Kingdom in 2020. Man, what a legendary career!

Keith6601
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Keith6601 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:54 am

Liger just had the best match of the anniversary show with Ishimori so he could easily keep going. It'll be interesting to see what his final match is.

The way the show ended with the 5 guys in the ring, I don't think it will be any of them winning the NJ Cup :lol:

Keith6601
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Keith6601 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:39 pm

NJCup N1:

NAKFUCKINGNISHI!!!!!!!!!!! Holy hell was the crowd pulling for him. I'm not a big fan and I loved it.

It's fountain of youth night as Nagata puts in an incredible effort against Ishii.

Overall a really good opening batch of 1st round matches with a fun undercard.

Keith6601
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Keith6601 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:14 pm

NJCup N2:

Another fun undercard with more build to 1st round or 2nd round opponents. Umino/Tanahashi is going to be awesome!

No surprises this batch of matchups. Nicholls looked really good against Leo and Fale/Ospreay was better than I expected it to be.

Okada/Elgin keeps the momentum of 2 straight shows with fantastic mains.

Keith6601
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Keith6601 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:15 pm

NJCup N3:

These are the first shows I've enjoyed from NJPW since the exodus. It's been a great first round with undercards that are enjoyable while building future matchups.

Naito/Ibushi was great like expected but I'll say it, I enjoyed Tanahashi/Umino more. The story they told and having Red Shoes as the ref was well done. Zack/Evil put on another classic in their rivalry.

Night 4 is the weakest lineup of matches in my opinion but they've still made me want to see Yano/Smith because of their interactions.

Keith6601
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Keith6601 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:37 am

NJCup N4:

Easily the weakest block and it showed as the undercard had better matches. I love the team of Tanahashi/Okada/Umino, just great chemistry. Mikey Nicholls continues to look awesome.

Yano/Smith was the regular Yano match with Smith looking for revenge for Yano tricking him in the past. I would have liked less comedy from Cabana. Kelly said this was Colt's 75th tour of Japan, it's amazing it's his first in NJPW as he's always been a star with the japanese fans. Suzuki was great as always.

The second round is going to be great:
Ishii vs Taichi
Owens vs Yoshi-Hashi
Okada vs Nicholls
Ospreay vs Archer
Tanahashi vs Taguchi
Sabre Jr vs Ibushi
Cabana vs Yano
Suzuki vs Sanada

Monday Night Rollins
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 am

Re: New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Monday Night Rollins » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:35 am

Today’s show was solid.

The final 2 matches were exactly what I wanted from both for completely different reasons.

Post Reply