This Day in Wrestling History

Joe

Re: This Day in Wrestling History

Post by Joe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:38 pm

2/4 I’m back in Mid-South Wrestling, this time in 1984!

Honestly there’s a lot on this show, but none of it feels especially memorable. Just an average week of television for the territory. The TV title tournament starts, which is kind of cool, but it starts with a main event involving Terry Taylor so points lost.

Since there’s not much to say on this one, I’ll leave you with one random comment that I jotted down during the show...

Am I the only one who gets a total Chris Pine vibe from a young Barry Darsow? The original Guardian of the Galaxy, Krusher Darsow!

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:49 am

Joe wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:38 pm
Am I the only one who gets a total Chris Pine vibe from a young Barry Darsow? The original Guardian of the Galaxy, Krusher Darsow!
yes

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 am

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:49 am
Joe wrote:
yes
Dude he’s a spitting image!

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Joe wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 am
Joe wrote:
yes
Chris Pine or Chris Platt? I could see maybe pre movie star Platt (and you said Guardian of the Galaxy).

Chris Pine is more like a less attractive version of me.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:24 pm
Joe wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 am

yes
Chris Pine or Chris Platt? I could see maybe pre movie star Platt (and you said Guardian of the Galaxy).

Chris Pine is more like a less attractive version of me.
I totally meant Platt! D’oh!

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:36 am

2/5 is another no brainer...WWF The Main Event from 1988! Hulk Hogan defending the world title against Andre The Giant in a rematch from Mania 3! And of course we get arguably the best angle in WWF history with that match on this show. An angle you can pretty much only do once and never again. It was brilliant.

But first, we see Macho Man battle Honky Tonk Man for the Intercontinental Title. It’s pretty good, better than most Honky Tonk Man matches. I appreciate Macho Man more and more as I watch his work.

Now it’s time for what we all came for. Wrestling wise, Hogan vs Andre is nothing to write home about. Andre is barely mobile and Hogan is Hogan. But it’s the angle here, the referee counting the pin on Hogan when he clearly kicks out, and Andre “winning” the title only to give it to Ted DiBiase! And as Hogan complains about the injustice, a second referee appears and he’s identical to the other referee! Twin referees?!?! Whaaaa?!?!

Honestly, I’ve seen this a dozen times, and it never stops being awesome. They pull it off perfectly and tell an incredible story. Like I said, I don’t think you could ever do this angle again, which makes it even more brilliant. This show will always be worth watching just to see this angle again, like rewatching your favorite episode of The Sopranos (“Pine Barrens,” obvi).

I wish we had gotten to see more from Strike Force vs The Hart Foundation, given the two teams were awesome and probably worked really well together. But timing just wasn’t on the show’s side.

Overall a classic hour of WWF television and arguably wrestling in general. I love amazing in ring work as much as anyone, but give me an excellently executed angle any day and you’ve got me hooked.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:17 am

2/6 I went with an episode of Mid-Atlantic Wrestling from 1982! This one features none other than the NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair taking on Jay Youngblood in a non-title match! It’s a pretty good one, as Flair was just incredible at this point in his career and Youngblood isn’t half bad either. Kind of fun seeing Flair wrestle in the studio. I only wish it had been longer with a more clear finish.

The rest of the show is good too but nothing major to highlight. Really this was all about Flair visiting the territory, which of course was a big deal. Like when Brock Lesnar shows up on Raw after visiting all the other territories covered by the Universal Title.

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:09 pm

I love the idea of Lesnar visiting places like Xandar and Knowhere to defend his title.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:45 pm

2/7 I went with an episode of the NWA’s World Championship Wrestling from 1987, and it’s “Super Towns on the Superstation” as we get a collection of matches from various cities with the biggest stars of the NWA in action. It’s actually sort of cool, since usually this show is just squash matches in a studio, and here it’s bouts fitting of a big card in front of various cities.

That said, none of the matches are especially good. I was enjoying Arn Anderson vs Barry Windham until the lame finish. Actually, I can say that about almost every match on this show. Including Ric Flair vs Nikita Koloff. That one was going really well until it had to end. I’m not really surprised by the lack of satisfying finishes since these matches all essentially came from house shows, but it really just curbs my enjoyment level.

The main event is a scaffold match with the Road Warriors vs the Midnight Express, and this is probably my least favorite gimmick match type ever. But I totally see how it was an attraction that put butts in seats. I guess.

Overall not a must see show, but it was a pretty cool format and concept for an episode of this show. Honestly, I wish WWE today would film a few matches from house shows every week and just throw them on the network as an hour long “From The Road” type show. It seems like such a simple way to get some new programming that wouldn’t be can’t miss but could be fun for those watching.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:28 am

Remember back then it was always about drawing fans to the next show in that area so most times it was some type of screwy finish to have the rematch where it was possibly a stipulation or tag to build to the blow off.

I've always thought that titles need to change hands on house shows to give them that "anything can happen, you need to be there" feel. Especially now like you said with the network, they can air them easily.

Two of my favorite memories of going to shows as a kid was The Steiners winning the US tag titles (even though I was a MX fan) and Flair beating Sting for the NWA title. I remember everyone at school calling me a liar because that weekend on tv the Midnight Express came out with the belts still :lol:

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:36 am

2/8 I went with WWF Saturday Night’s Main Event from 1992! We’re a few weeks removed from the Royal Rumble where Ric Flair won the world title and Hulk Hogan went all sore loser to unfairly help eliminate Sid Justice, who was just trying to be a good guy.

The show starts here with a rematch from the Rumble as Roddy Piper defends his newly won Intercontinental Title against former champion The Mountie. It’s a better match than the one they had at the Rumble! Nothing amazing but they keep it short and work the Mountie’s shock stick gimmick in about as perfectly as you can. Fun stuff!

Next we get tag team action as Hulk Hogan teams up with Sid Justice to take on Flair and The Undertaker. Talk about a star studded affair! This one is actually pretty good, as all four guys look great and the story they’re telling is fun. The crowd eats it up too so it’s hard not to get sucked in. Of course Sid turns on Hogan, who both screwed him over at the Rumble and has now been awarded the title match opportunity at WrestleMania even though he’s clearly not the most deserving. Can you even blame Sid?

Jim Duggan and Sgt. Slaughter, who this time last year were fighting each other on a SNME, team up to battle the Beverly Brothers in a match that definitely happened.

Our main event is Macho Man vs Jake The Snake and I was excited for this one! I’ve enjoyed watching their feud play out over the last few months since watching Survivor Series 1991. I only wish they had time for a longer match because I think it could have been a classic. What they have here is definitely good, but it doesn’t really cross past that. Both men bring plenty of intensity, and it’s nice seeing a definite conclusion to the feud.

Overall a pretty good show! Definitely helps me get excited for eventually watching Mania 8 soon!

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:38 am

Keith6601 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:28 am
Remember back then it was always about drawing fans to the next show in that area so most times it was some type of screwy finish to have the rematch where it was possibly a stipulation or tag to build to the blow off.

I've always thought that titles need to change hands on house shows to give them that "anything can happen, you need to be there" feel. Especially now like you said with the network, they can air them easily.

Two of my favorite memories of going to shows as a kid was The Steiners winning the US tag titles (even though I was a MX fan) and Flair beating Sting for the NWA title. I remember everyone at school calling me a liar because that weekend on tv the Midnight Express came out with the belts still :lol:
Yeah exactly! It’s funny to me how much clean finishes have become so important to fans today (myself included) when if you look back at wrestling in the 1980s, you almost never got a clean finish in a big match. It was almost always about selling people on the rematch. So it takes a different mindset when watching these older shows too.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:39 am

2/9 I went with an episode of WWF All Star Wrestling from 1980! And I think the easiest way to handle a TV episode like this is to just share some random thoughts!

Man, Hulk Hogan has zero personality back here. He was just a big man who beat his opponent with a very homo-erotic bear hug. That was it. How this man became the biggest star in the industry maybe ever is nothing short of a miracle.

Tony Atlas looked great here! And he was a good interview too. I’m sort of surprised he didn’t become a main event level star because he kind of seemed like the total package.

Watching Afa and Sika in action here, I’m really happy today that being a Samoan in pro wrestling no longer means you must be barefoot and wear black capri tights. That’s the real evolution that’s taken place in wrestling. Also I don’t get why their match didn’t end by DQ when one of their opponents hit one of them in the head WITH THE RING BELL HAMMER. Of course it had no affect because Samoan skulls are indestructible. But still, how is that not a DQ??

I’ve never related to anyone in a wrestling crowd as much as the people clearly leaving during the Bob Duncum and Charlie Brown match. I feel you people from before I was born. I feel you.

And that’s where the show ends. Not a bad 42 minutes at all, but I’m pretty happy to have grown up on the more over the top version of the WWF that the later part of the decade gave us versus the stuff we see here.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:25 am

2/10 is an episode of WWE Smackdown from 2006! We’re a few weeks past Rey Mysterio winning the Royal Rumble and riding the memory of Eddie Guerrero straight into the main event scene. To the point where Randy Orton, who wants Rey’s Mania title shot that he earned by winning the Rumble, is insulting Eddie’s memory left and right. It kind of makes my skin crawl to hear, even all these years later.

We get a fatal four way match to crown a number one contender for the US Title between JBL, Orlando Jordan, Matt Hardy and Chris Benoit. These guys get a ton of time and it makes for a really good, fun match! US Champ King Booker is on commentary during the bout and it’s fun hearing him worry every time someone is about to win. Again a reminder that Smackdown has almost always been the show where you get the better in ring work.

Speaking of, MNM vs London and Kendrick is next and again pretty good! These two teams clashing at any time is just a fun mix.

Gregory Helms defends the Cruiserweight Title against Nunzio while former champion Kid Kash watches. 205 Prequel Universe had some names, damn. But the match is nothing special.

Then we get a mini’s match, because apparently the Smackdown brand in 2006 tried to have a mini’s division. I legit don’t remember this and now I just want to see the Network launch a series called Five Feet And Under Live.

Our main event is Undertaker taking on Mark Henry and it’s actually pretty okay! This was that point where Taker merged being dead with also being an MMA machine, so his in-ring work was pretty stellar. Not a bad main event at all.

Overall a good show, but it’s really hard not to have the biggest takeaway be the Orton/Rey feud where so many awful things were being said about Eddie Guerrero. It’s just hard to watch and hasn’t aged well at all.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:33 am

2/11 I went with Mid-South Wrestling from 1984! I watched the previous episode last week, and doing a small bit of chronological order is fun with these so it felt like a good pick! The TV title tournament continues, as this week Masao Ito takes on Leaping Lenny Poffo in the first round. It’s actually a better match than I expected, I’ll say that.

The rest of the show is a bunch of “standby” matches, since they were ready to give the TV Title Tournament match the entire runtime of the show if needed and now have time to fill. That’s fun. It’s all just squash matches so nothing major to write home about, though by the end of the show there’s a brawl that sees the entire star roster get involved in the ring. That’s also pretty fun. Just send everyone out there to beat each other up, that always gets a crowd going.

Overall a fun episode of the show, even if it’s nothing memorable.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:28 am

2/12 I went with Mid-Atlantic Wrestling TV from 1983. This is actually a pretty different episode of Mid-Atlantic, as we get a bit of action from outside of the studio. And the action we get in the studio is less jobber-centric than usual. Sure we get Jack Briscoe beating down a hopeless loser, but then there’s so much more!

Like a very young Mike Rotundo, who is supposed to be in tag team action against Dory Funk Jr. and Dick Slater, but his scheduled partner is missing. So Funk and Slater offer to just have one of them fight Rotundo in a singles match, but it’s a ruse! Instead they battle him in a handicap match, until Gerry Briscoe decides he’s seen enough and gets involved! This whole angle is pretty awesome.

We get a quick Terry Funk vs Jerry Grey Bunkhouse Match from CWF. It’s cool seeing footage from another territory here, even if the match doesn’t amount to much.

The other cool thing on here is footage of the tag title match that we see from a house show. It’s cool seeing what a Mid-Atlantic non-studio show looked like, and while they don’t show us much, it’s really fun to check out.

Overall a good episode of TV!

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:18 am

2/13 I went with an episode of WWE Smackdown from 2003. We’re on the road to WrestleMania 19 and I’m happily checking out the historically better wrestling brand while on that road. As usual, the first thing that jumps out to me is how stacked the roster is. I mean, Edge vs Charlie Haas, Matt Hardy vs Rey Mysterio, and Eddie Guerrero vs Shelton Benjamin all happen on this show and are pretty good! Also Chris Benoit vs A-Train, which is frankly so much better than I even expected.

The biggest highlight for me though is Brock Lesnar vs John Cena! Given how far both have gone, it’s fun seeing them young and new here, and they have a really good match! Cena’s initial growth from nobody to somebody the crowd loved really was awesome. I quite enjoyed this!

Of course we also have a bra and panties match with future Hall Of Famer Torrie Wilson versus Dawn Marie, and we get Kanyon coming out of a box to get beaten up by The Undertaker, so the show isn’t without its missteps. But it’s overall a good episode!

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:44 am

2/14 felt like an obvious choice...WWF St. Valentine’s Day Massacre from 1999! This one is all about Austin vs McMahon in the cage, which has always been a memorable match for me since it first happened. In fact, I’m not sure if watching it here wasn’t the first time I’ve seen it again since it first happened, but I remembered so much of what happened in the match!

But first, we get Goldust vs Bluedust. It’s fast. Very fast. Which is probably a good thing.

As soon as Al Snow vs Bob Holly for the Hardcore Title started I thought to myself “this must be the one where they end up in the river!” And I was right! It’s one of the better hardcore title matches that WWF ever had and pretty good in that sense. And it pretty much gave Bob Holly the much cooler name of Hardcore Holly.

Boss Man vs Mideon is not good. No sir. Mideon in a singles match on pay per view is never okay. I’m fine with this mostly setting up the post match Ministry Of Darkness attacking Boss Man angle, but it could have been much shorter and just gotten there.

Tag title is on the line next as champions Jeff Jarrett and Owen Hart take on D’Lo Brown and Mark Henry. It’s okay, seems like it could have been better with the talent involved but it’s pretty forgettable.

Ken Shamrock puts the Intercontinental Title on the line against Val Venis, with Ken’s sister in Val’s corner, and Billy Gunn as the guest referee. There’s some good action here, but it’s the story I really enjoyed. Shamrock being angry at his sister being with Val. Gunn being offered a bribe by Venis to help him win. There’s layers and they make this interesting if nothing else.

Next we get Triple H and X-Pac vs Kane and Chyna of The Corporation. Another great story being told here. This is very good! Just slightly too long but otherwise I really loved this. Chyna looked great. I’m a fan of this one!

I’ve said it before, but I really think The Rock and Mankind had some of the most unique matches with each other. Here they have a Last Man Standing Match for the WWF Title and it’s great! They really would just go all in after each other and it would be brutal yet entertaining. I didn’t like the finish much, and I’m even more annoyed that it’s the second last man standing match I’ve watched recently on a WWF/WWE show from the past that had the same finish. Aside from that though, this was awesome!

Main event time and this is what we’re really here for - Austin vs McMahon. Steel cage. Austin’s WrestleMania title shot on the line. To me, this is a classic. Vince does so much more than you’d expect and bumps like crazy, even off of the cage through an announce table. The storytelling here is just fantastic. And the finish with the debut of the man soon to be known as The Big Show was great. I remember that moment as a kid and remember truly being shocked at the debut since I watched just enough WCW to know exactly who he was. In a word, awesome!

Overall a thumbs up of a show for me. The last three matches really delivered, and there was great storytelling throughout the night. The booking all actually made a lot of sense and was fun to see. Glad I watched this!

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:19 am

2/15 is all about WWE No Way Out 2004 for me! An obvious choice, all about Eddie Guerrero’s crowning moment! I probably haven’t seen this whole show since it first happened, so this should be fun!

The opener with Rikishi and Scotty 2 Hotty defending the Smackdown Tag Title against the Basham Brothers and Shaniqua was pretty good! Better than I expected. Shaniqua actually looked pretty good. Ahead of her time perhaps?

I can’t believe they dusted off the blindfold match in 2004, but here we are. The sad part is, it totally makes sense from a storyline perspective, since Jamie Noble had been torturing his temporarily blind girlfriend Nidia for months. So him wears b a blindfold while fighting her fits. And they do a good job with the match for what it is. I feel like it’s also worth noting that’s two matches in a row that involved women fighting men.

APA vs The World’s Greatest Tag Team is really good! I do not remember the APA being this good. Maybe this was just a particularly strong match for them? Either way, it’s a lot of fun! Really enjoyed it!

After a really awesome Goldberg, Lesnar and Heyman segment (seriously the booking here was great!) we get Rhyno vs Hardcore Holly, which is again better than I expected. Both men really brought it and delivered something good. Solid stuff!

Chavo Guerrero Jr. battles Rey Mysterio next for the Cruiserweight Title and it’s pretty cool seeing the cruiserweight belt getting such a highlighted spot on the card. The match is good as expected! Could have been even better maybe with more time, but it’s certainly a fun one for what it is!

Kurt Angle vs John Cena vs The Big Show for a shot at the WWE Title at WrestleMania is up and it’s a really good three way dance! They do a lot with having three guys in the ring, especially with Big Show as this power house who can hardly be stopped. Cena is the young, ambitious guy who has no quit. And Angle just wants to get to the prize and move on to Mania. It works really well.

And now it’s time for the match I came here for. Eddie Guerrero. Brock Lesnar. WWE Title. Honestly, I’m so glad to have rewatched this. It’s been so long and I didn’t quite remember how amazing overall this bout is. I’m talking five star, absolute classic. I loved this and everything about it. Yes the lasting memory is Eddie winning, but the match itself deserved so much more praise than I think it gets. This might be my favorite match that I’ve seen yet while watching all of these older shows.

So glad I watched No Way Out 2004! Not only for the main event, but the event overall was full of good stuff. Very fun and a rewatch I can’t recommend enough!

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:48 pm

2/16 I watched an episode of Mid-Atlantic Wrestling from 1985! I don’t know if this was typical at this point, but we’re not in the TV studio anymore! Instead we’re at a small arena and it makes for a more exciting show!

The main event features the hardest working champion in the NWA, TV Title holder Tully Blanchard, defending the belt against Brian Adidas. Brian is one of those guys I had never even heard of before I started watching these older shows, and now mostly because of his work in WCCW I at least know the guy. Kind of exciting to see him travel to Mid-Atlantic here. It’s a good match, starts off great but loses steam as it goes along and ends up not the most memorable. The more I see of Tully, the more I really think he’s quite underrated in the annals of history. He’s remembered, but is he as celebrated as he should be? I’m not so sure.

The rest of the show features your usual cavalcade of stars from the National Wrestling Alliance. I really kind of enjoyed seeing the Russians here. I know their gimmick was a cheap way to get heat (and wrestling seems to have finally moved past xenophobic tropes as a means of making easy villains) but damn if they didn’t play their roles so well.

There’s some fun bits through the show too where they give us “facts” about NWA World Champion Ric Flair, like the average price of his ring robes. Nice little touch.

Overall a fun episode!