All Elite Wrestling

All Elite Wrestling

Moderator: Puns

Puns
Location: In my mom’s basement I steal her wifi and I pay no rent

Re: All Elite Wrestling

Post by Puns »

So, question. Back in the day, AJ Styles was a bland but amazingly athletic wrestler. How much did his pairing with Ric Flair in TNA help him develop his personality? I wasn’t watching so I honestly don’t know. He’s got a giant personality now but it’s taken years and years for his confidence to get to this point.

It’s cool to have seen his career progression along the way. He went from a bland skinny kid at the tail end of wcw in 2001 in that tag team Air Paris and Air Styles…Air Force? Air Dudes? I can’t remember…to a seriously jacked dude now who is honestly one of the premier wrestlers of his generation and has not only traveled the globe, but won pretty much all the major championships everywhere he’s gone along the way.

I first saw him in TNA in 2003 ordering the Wednesday ppvs. He stood out as able to do super creative and innovative moves like the flippy thing off the top rope he used to do and the Styles Clash. The Styles clash was the coolest thing I’d ever seen at the time. He was the first guy I ever saw do the springboard moonsault flip over into a reverse ddt.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

AJ really hit a stride on the mic right as he was about to leave TNA/Impact. Letting out all that frustration on Dixie, then going and forming the Bullet Club really developed him as a character.
Puns

Post by Puns »

Is there a TNA streaming service? Impact+ or something? I have seen more than a few people saying Kurt Angle’s best work came from his TNA run and I’ve gotta see it to believe it. His matches against Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Brock Lesnar…the list goes on and on of great great matches and opponents in WWE. My favorite wrestling match of all time is the 2003 Royal Rumble match against Benoit. He had matches in TNA on THAT level?
Iamspiderman

Post by Iamspiderman »

Puns wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:30 pm Is there a TNA streaming service? Impact+ or something? I have seen more than a few people saying Kurt Angle’s best work came from his TNA run and I’ve gotta see it to believe it. His matches against Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Brock Lesnar…the list goes on and on of great great matches and opponents in WWE. My favorite wrestling match of all time is the 2003 Royal Rumble match against Benoit. He had matches in TNA on THAT level?
TNA+ is $9.99 a month or $95.99 for the year and you get the full library plus all their live special events (minus their big 4 shows)
Iamspiderman

Post by Iamspiderman »

As for the matches, he had classics with Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Abyss, Mr. Anderson, Nigel and Sting.

There is the Jarrett stuff too but it isnt everyone’s cup of tea.

Short answer, check it out!
Puns

Post by Puns »

Cool, I think that I’ll check it out, at least for the awful nostalgia of those weekly ppvs and the Angle and Joe stuff.
ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON »

Flair almost falling out and breaking a hip and the Bucks making their "triumphant" return, replete with douche bag clothes and douche bag mustaches to steal Sting's retirement to milk attention for themselves is the most on brand AEW moment in awhile.
Roxxxas

Post by Roxxxas »

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:23 pm Flair almost falling out and breaking a hip and the Bucks making their "triumphant" return, replete with douche bag clothes and douche bag mustaches to steal Sting's retirement to milk attention for themselves is the most on brand AEW moment in awhile.
Since the victory lap?
Puns

Post by Puns »

It was so apropos.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Jericho is very smart to have a match not technically in front of the live crowd. This reminds me of a 2000 WWF Hardcore championship match.
ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON »

What if Jericho is actually Satan, but convinced TK to do the Devil gimmick and give it to someone else to throw off the scent?
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

Man, Hook and Joe looked great coming out that match last night.
GardenStateSaint

Where has Miro been since World's End?
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

GardenStateSaint wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:07 pm Where has Miro been since World's End?
I think he's taking time off since CJ Perry's infection got bad again.
Iamspiderman

Post by Iamspiderman »

GardenStateSaint wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:07 pm Where has Miro been since World's End?
Thankfully off my TV
GardenStateSaint

Iamspiderman wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:53 pm
Thankfully off my TV
Another start & stop
GardenStateSaint

I was looking at the upcoming AEW touring schedule and I find it highly curious they don't have a location for the Dynamite after Revolution on March 6th.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

GardenStateSaint wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:17 am I was looking at the upcoming AEW touring schedule and I find it highly curious they don't have a location for the Dynamite after Revolution on March 6th.
I have heard that the new COO has taken over live events from Jeff Jarrett and is moving out of smaller markets that have had abysmal ticket sales and are looking to run larger, more proven markets like Philly, New York, Chicago, etc that they have had better sales in recently.
GardenStateSaint

I heard the same rumor but time is ticking on this one. Coming out of Greensboro on Sunday I suppose maybe Raleigh?
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

GardenStateSaint wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:00 pm I heard the same rumor but time is ticking on this one. Coming out of Greensboro on Sunday I suppose maybe Raleigh?
Raleigh did pretty poorly the last time they were there. The whole city is pretty fairweather about getting out for things like this. I think they did less than 2500 and that was back in 21 when things were still kind of hot for them.