TAKE TWO - This Day In Wrestling History

Joe

TAKE TWO - This Day In Wrestling History

Post by Joe » Sun May 26, 2019 9:35 pm

I've decided to give this another go, back to the original idea of actually watching something from today's actual date. No playing catch up - if I miss a day (and life happens, so I will), then I simply miss it. But for every day I can watch something, I'll post it here. And I'm hoping to have a pretty long streak of days!

So we start with today, May 26! From 1984, it's Mid-South Wrestling TV! Featuring nothing less than the Rock n Roll Express defending the Mid-South Tag Team Title against the Midnight Express. This match isn't very long (the whole episode clocks in at under 40 minutes) but the action gets pretty crazy. Bodies flying everywhere. Bobby Eaton gets busted open. It's no disqualifications too, so you know we see guys being thrown over the top rope too. And one of my new favorite referee bumps, as the ref gets kicked by Eaton and goes flying backwards halfway across the ring and to the floor! Then Jim Cornette gets involved with a rag covered in ether! I'm telling you, as short as this is, its legit pandemonium. You have to see it.

This episode also features Buddy Landel and Butch Reed attacking Junkyard Dog, covering him in oil or something, and feathering him. Something I have to believe they will eventually regret.

Overall this is the kind of episode that highlights exactly how crazy things would get in Mid-South!

Joe

Re: TAKE TWO - This Day In Wrestling History

Post by Joe » Mon May 27, 2019 8:27 pm

May 27, 1989 - It's WWF Saturday Night's Main Event! This episode features Hulk Hogan defending the world title against the Big Boss Man inside of a steel cage! Points to Jesse Ventura for pointing out, while interviewing the challenger, that Boss Man was finally getting his wish tonight and getting Hogan behind bars! The match itself is mostly a mess and one of those cage matches that makes you question all logic that goes into steel cage matches. And that's not even mentioning when the established illogical logic is even thrown out the window, like when the referee enters the ring to count out both wrestlers (after a pretty awesome superplex from the top of the cage on Boss Man from Hogan) even though the match can only end by escape. I did like the finish, where a pair of handcuffs comes in handy, but clever finishes were kind of common in Hogan matches back in these days.

The rest of the hour is filled with quite a bit of late 80s WWF tastiness. Rick Rude looks awesome in his match against Jim Duggan, even if Hacksaw seems to have no clue how to win a title when challenging for it. Randy Savage and Jim Neidhart have a pretty good match that with a little more time and built up finish would have been next level. I love that the reasoning Neidhart gives for wanting this match too is, quite simply, he doesn't like Savage and wants to make sure he has to go through him to get another shot at Hogan and the world title. Simple logic! There's also a fun little Demolition vs. Brain Busters match. I expected there to be more of a style clash between the two teams, but they actually worked really well together.

There's also a super short, blink and you'll miss it match between Jimmy Snuka and Boris Zhukov, but that's fine. Kind of impressive that they fit five matches onto this program. And overall a fun watch, worth seeking out!

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue May 28, 2019 3:33 pm

May 28, 1983 - WCCW TV and a fun episode at that, featuring a six-man main event between the Fabulous Freebirds and Iceman King Parsons, Kevin Von Erich and David Von Erich. It's entertaining stuff, even if it isn't anything especially incredible. I kind of like that WCCW (and maybe a lot of wrestling companies in general in the 80s) got that you could just put on good, basic matches with your stars and leave the live crowd and home TV audience totally satisfied. What a concept!

Prior to the six-man we get a quick match between Parsons and Freebird member Buddy Roberts, which is mostly all about Parsons trying to get revenge on Roberts and cut off some of his hair. We also get a genuinely good mat-based wrestling bout between Chris Adams and Johnny Mantell. I was almost surprised to see a contest built entirely around holds and counters here on a show in 1983. Both men looked great at that!

And we see a bit of the Ric Flair vs. Kevin Von Erich NWA World Title match from the previous month, which of course ended with Kevin seemingly winning the belt but then the referee reversing the decision so Flair actually kept the title. Their rematch is coming up and I'm sure it'll be on an episode of the TV show, so I'll be keeping an eye out for it. But man, as much as people would get annoyed that Brock Lesnar would barely ever defend the title while he had it recently, imagine if every time he actually did defend it, he seemingly lost it only to have the decision reversed somehow. I really think wrestling in the 80s got away with a lot because of the lack of internet for fans to complain on.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed May 29, 2019 10:27 pm

May 29, 2014 - NXT Takeover! The very first one (while its the second special, it is the first under the Takeover banner) and that made it feel especially fitting to watch today with Takeover 25 happening this weekend. Plus I find these older Takeovers especially fun to watch since you can look back on the roster and where they are today. For example, the opener features a guy who has I believe retired from pro wrestling and a guy who teams with his brother in New Japan now and is a multi-time tag champion there. Times sure do change.

The best match on the show here is hands down Natalya vs. Charlotte Flair for the vacant NXT Women's Title. Bret Hart and Ric Flair are in their respective corners, and Charles Robinson is the referee, and these women go out there and bring it like their names are Steamboat and, well, Flair. Not saying the match is as good as those classics, but its clear that on this night these two women both wanted to have the best match of their career. I feel like this is almost under the radar when people think of great women's matches in the past decade, yet this one easily belongs in the top ten conversation. It's fantastic and a joy to rewatch.

The remainder of the card is really good to great, with Adrian Neville vs. Tyson Kidd probably being the second best match of the night. I found it interesting seeing Neville here because you can really tell that if nothing else, his time in WWE allowed him to really develop a character and become a next level talent. He was so vanilla here and he's anything but that now.

Overall a great show, and a fun watch leading up to this weekend!

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu May 30, 2019 5:01 pm

May 30, 1992 - WWF Superstars! I've been wanting to watch this show since they added it to the Network, so seeing it as a possibility for today made it a no brainer! I love this format, with storyline and event updates mixed in with squash matches. Honestly, I wish WWE today had an hour long show like this. I don't wish Raw or Smackdown were this way, but a separate show with a few guys highlighted and storylines reported on like a news program. This week spends a lot of time recapping the recent happenings between Papa Shango and The Ultimate Warrior, including last week when Shango made Warrior ooze black liquid from his forehead!!! Shango is supposed to be in action here, but he disposes of his would-be jobber before the bell even rings via voodoo that SETS THE BOTTOM OF THE MAN'S FEET ON FIRE. Try that, Kane.

This episode also features the on-screen debut of Nailz, who shows up after a Big Boss Man match to attack the former prison guard who he says treated him horribly while he was a prisoner. Honestly, there's something you really have to appreciate about the kayfabe thought process for Nailz here. He's this guy who clearly decided to become a wrestler strictly to get vengeance on a cop who harassed him in the system, and he's gone as far as to still dress up like he's in jail just to rub it in or something. I don't know, but there's something Freudian about it for sure.

Honestly enjoyed the heck out of this episode. I'm so watching more Superstars coming up!

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri May 31, 2019 11:34 pm

May 31, 2013 - WWE Smackdown, featuring such AEW stars as Cody Rhodes, Chris Jericho, and Jon Moxley all in main event matches! There’s not really a ton to say here. It’s a decent TV episode, but Smackdown when there isn’t a brand split is always clearly a B show where there’s no actual storyline development. That does allow time for lots of good wrestling though, so it isn’t entirely a complaint. But yeah, this is the kind of show you only need to watch if you’re a completist or try to watch a show that happened/aired on the date and nothing else looked worth picking.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:42 am

June 1, 2007 - WWE Smackdown! I won't lie, I picked this one because the card featured Hornswoggle vs. Little Boogeyman and I needed that in my life today. It was actually a really good episode of Smackdown overall! My biggest takeaways:

-Seeing a young version of The Miz is really fun, especially when he was in the ring with the guys who were big stars at the time already (in this case, he teams with MVP to battle Chris Benoit and Matt Hardy).

-Jillian Hall vs. Michelle McCool was pretty decent and you could tell both women were working really hard. Thumbs down to JBL on commentary, who spent the entire time sexualizing the women even though they were clearly trying to focus on wrestling and not being pieces of meat to drool over. Seriously at one point he said something about how he can just stare at these ladies all day and it doesn't matter what they're doing. JBL folks, personally delaying the women's wrestling revolution by nearly a decade.

-I enjoyed Little Boogeyman vs. Hornswoggle for exactly what it was. And Boogeyman was such an awesome gimmick/look.

-Mark Henry has one of the more underrated theme songs of all time.

-Deuce and Domino also had an awesome gimmick! The three-way tag title match here with them, London and Kendrick, and Regal and Taylor was good! They played up the aspect of a three team match like this where the champs can lose the belts without being pinned, which made for good story throughout the match. And man, Paul London was just so good. Is it weird to call him ahead of his time? Because had he been signed about five years after this, he surely would have been an NXT champion.

-Edge and Batista have a great "Cutting Edge" segment (the first in Smackdown history!) to build up their world title steel cage match in just 48 hours! I still feel like Edge is underrated overall because he really was just this perfect heel champion who also had amazing matches plenty of times out there. I've always gotten Ric Flair vibes from him, but I feel like Edge's work as champion will be and already in a way is overlooked.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:41 pm

June 2, 1984 - Mid South Wrestling! A bit of time is spent recapping what happened on last week's really good episode, especially between the Rock n Roll Express and the Midnight Express. There's something really fun about seeing a young Jim Ross interviewing a young Jim Cornette, who I'm finally starting to get why people like from his work back at this time. The in-ring highlight this week is a match between Magnum T.A. and Mr. Wrestling II, who is also at odds with his trainer Mr. Wrestling and that plays into the match plenty. It's seriously a good match and particularly makes this episode worth while. Overall a fun week from the territory!

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:16 pm

June 3, 2007 - WWE One Night Stand, with every match featuring some sort of "extreme" gimmick. Honestly, after watching Smackdown from just two days before this show the other day, I was actually very interested in checking this out. Sadly, this was a chore to watch. For one thing, these tri-brand pay-per-views were just so bloated, and Smackdown only had two matches on the card - a lumberjack match between Mark Henry and Kane, and a world title steel cage match between Edge and Batista. Basically none of the stuff I really enjoyed on Smackdown two days ago featured into this show at all. Damn. Edge vs. Batista was good, but the ending was very flat and kept the match from going to the next level. Henry vs. Kane was meh and mostly I wished we had a match instead with some of the guys who were lumberjacks outside of the ring, because seriously, you had Benoit, John Morrison, Chavo Guerrero, and a bunch of others out there.

There's really not a single match worth highlighting here. I expected the Hardy Boyz vs. The World's Greatest Tag Team in a ladder match to maybe be something, but alas it just reminded me why I had no memory of the match every happening. Orton vs. RVD in a stretcher match was basically good but spent so much time on RVD trying to sell a head injury/concussion and, well, he's just not a good actor.

The tables match with Dreamer, Sandman and Punk against Matt Striker, Elijah Burke and Marcus Cor Von was actually fun for where it was on the card. And while it makes me cringe at seeing the women wrestlers used in a pudding match, Candice Michelle and Melina actually weren't awful in it. Plus, a pudding match ending via tap out has to be worth noting. And John Cena actually pulls probably the best match possible out of The Great Khali. That is to say, it's not necessarily a good match, but it isn't Khali's typical dumpster fire. Being a falls count anywhere match helps.

But then this is also the show that gave us Vince McMahon defending the ECW Title against Bobby Lashley, and man, this show deserves plenty of hate for giving the world that. Thumbs down on this show. Maybe watching anything 2007 WWE isn't the greatest idea.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:06 pm

June 4, 1983 - WCCW tv, featuring Kerry Von Erich vs Michael Hayes in a match that makes someone like myself who grew up on 1990s WWF really go “wow, Doc Hendrix sure could wrassle.” We also are treated to a Chris Adams match as I realize more and more that I am an Adams fan. And David Von Erich battles Jimmy Garvin for the vacant Texas Heavyweight Title. Let’s just say that by the end, nothing has been settled!

I’m quite enjoying my weekly fix of World Class and will probably keep it going. Especially when they tease us with big matches like the eight man tag coming next week with The Von Erichs and Iceman Parsons taking on The Freebirds and Jimmy Garvin!

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:20 pm

June 5, 2003 - WWE Smackdown! And I have to say this is one great episode. Like, I'm not sure that I can fairly judge it as the best Smackdown episode ever because I am far from seeing them all, but it has to be a top ten episode. Every match is good, every segment is entertaining. Even the opening Vince McMahon/Zack Gowan angle works with Mr. America involved (I loved that storyline, and even here watching Vince swear it's Hulk Hogan under the mask and Mr. America to tell him it sure isn't, brother).

Undertaker and Chuck Palumbo (with the FBI at ringside) is better than I expected. I think Palumbo is underrated. And Taker was at his most athletic at this point. It's honestly a good match!

Tajiri and Eddie Guerrero made for one hell of a random team (and mind you, they're the tag champs), and they have a good bout against the Basham Brothers, who just debuted the week before. Seriously, Eddie even in the smallest roles just stole the show every time.

There's a great Big Show/Kurt Angle/Brock Lesnar interview segment. Angle makes his return here after being out injured since WrestleMania 19. He was magic on the mic at this time, and so was Big Show honestly.

The best match on this show though is John Cena vs. Chris Benoit. I love the booking they go with here. It's simple but effective and honestly feels like the kind of thing WWE could use more of today. I won't spoil what happens, I'll just say I found it brilliant.

The main event pits Rey Mysterio against Matt Hardy for the Cruiserweight Title. They're in Anaheim, California, which is described as "basically Rey's hometown." It's a fun match between two great talents and it delivers everything you could hope for from a TV main event. Plus we get six year old Dominic Mysterio in the audience. I swear, one day I want him to be a mega heel in WWE and have a face come out and say but what ever happened to this cute kid?? *cue videos of six-year-old Dominic in the audience watching his dad wrestle, and Rey Mysterio too*

Overall just a great episode. I cannot recommend it enough.

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 pm

Joe wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:20 pm
The best match on this show though is John Cena vs. Chris Benoit. I love the booking they go with here. It's simple but effective and honestly feels like the kind of thing WWE could use more of today. I won't spoil what happens, I'll just say I found it brilliant.
Chris Benoit killed his family?

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:46 am

-mp- wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 pm
Joe wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:20 pm
Chris Benoit killed his family?
That’s like long term spoiler. Like if I were watching Ultimate Warrior vs Hunter Hurst Healmsley and said “spoiler alter, the loser goes on to marry the second most feminine of Vince’s children.”

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:45 am

June 6, 1992 - WWF Superstars! Last week was so good, I knew I was watching this week when it came up. Sadly this episode is a throwaway. Mostly recaps of the big developments from the previous episode. Nothing noteworthy wrestling wise either, except that I reaffirmed my dislike of the Beverly Brothers.

I’ll still probably watch the next episode. Superstars is definitely a part of my childhood and the nostalgia is worth it.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:44 am

June 7, 1994 - ECW Hardcore TV, and this is actually a really interesting time in ECW. It's that transitional phase as Eastern Championship Wrestling starts to become the ECW that most people know. For example, this episode features a match between two future ECW legends in The Sandman and Taz, but it's pre-smoking and drinking Sandman and The Tazmaniac. But the match itself is pretty much a brawl with chairs and tables and all the typical ECW charms. It really is interesting to see and kind of makes me want to keep watching ECW TV from here to see the company continue to become what it would.

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:25 am

I watched Super Showdown on this day in history and holy shit was it entertaining. Not in a good way, whatsoever, but in a perversely hilarious way and sometimes this business needs a little bit of that in my opinion.

That being said...AEW, NXT, and New Japan are not looking over their shoulder anytime soon.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:46 pm

June 8, 1988 – NWA Clash Of The Champions II: Miami Mayhem! Live on the Superstation! And I continue to discover my enjoyment of this era of NWA wrestling! So glad I decided to check this show out today as every match was good to great, and if current WWE has taught me nothing else, it’s to appreciate when a card can deliver like that.

The opener is Barry Windham, who I’ve slept on for far too long, defending the U.S. Title against Brad Armstrong, who the whole world slept on. Seriously, how did Road Dogg become the most famous of the Armstrong brothers when Brad was so damn good? Great match!

Up next is The Sheepherders vs. The Fantastics in another great bout! I’m pretty sure this is literally the first time I’ve ever seen the Bushwhackers pre-licking children in the WWF. I was never a fan of them, even as a kid, and it was hard to shake off the image I’ve had of them forever, but they were such a different team here. Awesome tag team action and while I thought it went a little long, overall I was a big fan!

The Varsity Club, a gimmick I’ve come to love, battles the team of Ron and Jimmy Garvin, who until this moment I’ve never actually made the connection of them being brothers but here we are. The action is good but most of the attention is spent on outside the ring shenanigans between Kevin Sullivan, who is locked in a cage of course, and Jimmy Garvin’s valet Precious, who has the key for some reason. Not bad but the wrestling is clearly not the focus of the story being told.

Nikita Koloff looks strange with hair. But he has a really good match against Al Perez here. I didn’t even mind the DQ finish as I thought it kept Koloff looking strong without having Perez take an obvious loss.

The main event features Sting and Dusty Rhodes challenging for the tag team title against Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard. There’s some great action in this one. In particular, Sting hits this one standing head scissors that is literally a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, this one also has a non-finish, which is annoying since its two in a row but also it completely deflates my excitement for the match itself. Ah well.

I should also mention during the show the Four Horsemen attacked Lex Luger in a great angle. He’s set to challenge Ric Flair for the world title next month and if the Horsemen have anything to say about it, Flexy Lexy as Hulk Hogan would call him won’t be making it to the match. I think my favorite part of this is Lugar for some reason is wearing an all white tuxedo that is too large for him, and during the attack his shirt is torn off, leaving his hot pink bowtie to rest around his naked throat and his white suspenders to fall against his bare chest. Basically, the Horsemen beat him until he looked like a Chip n Dales dancer. Somewhere, a young Buff Bagwell was jealous as heck.

Great show! I look forward to more of this era of NWA action!

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:54 am

June 9, 1984 - Another week of Mid-South Wrestling tv! And a fun hour it was. Decent amount of time spent furthering the feuds between Buddy Landel and Sonny King, and Butch Reed and JYD (the latter via deliciously 80s promo videos). The tag champions The Midnight Express are in action, which is always a treat. As are Rhe Rock n Roll Express! And the RnR Express takes on no less than Randy Orton’s uncle, Barry Orton! I’m not kidding, JR talks about him being Cowboy Bob Orton’s brother.

Mr. Wrestling II battles Jay Youngblood, who is new to the territory, in a good little tv match. And we get highlights of an arena show bout between Ted DiBiase and Brad Armstrong that the live crowd in Oklahoma City just goes crazy for.

Overall good stuff!

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:14 am

#1 Brad was overlooked because he stayed in wcw.
#2 You need to find any Sheepherders stuff you can, they were one of the most violent teams until Vince got his hands on them.
#3 Ronnie Garvin was actually Jimmy's step-father in the real world so I've always found them being brothers to be funny.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:17 am

Keith6601 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:14 am
#1 Brad was overlooked because he stayed in wcw.
#2 You need to find any Sheepherders stuff you can, they were one of the most violent teams until Vince got his hands on them.
#3 Ronnie Garvin was actually Jimmy's step-father in the real world so I've always found them being brothers to be funny.
Do you think Brad would have been big if he went to WWF? Did he even have that opportunity?

So Vince has been ruining guys since the 80s?

And that explains why Ronnie and Jimmy looked nothing alike!