Technology Talk

Stuff
Azmodeous

Technology Talk

Post by Azmodeous » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:25 am

So this is going to be the replacement for my old TV search thread that devolved into a technology discussion thread. I'm still interested in getting an OLED possibly at some point but I'm kicking that can further down the road to around late 2019/early 2020 and spending the next year or so up heaving my life a bit (new car, maybe new house, and possibly even a new job). It will be interesting to see what comes along technology wise in the next year or so, as Samsung is looking into organic technology pretty heavily for tv again (their phones have used OLED screens for years) with the announcement of the wall at CES using micro LED for each individual pixel and the rumoured QOLED they're also working on. Both sound like good alternatives to OLED if they can work out the kinks (QOLED sounds like they still have a ways to go and the wall really felt like something just to show off for oohs and aahs at the convention), time will tell.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Re: Technology Talk

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:32 am

8K with glasses free 3D.... all I care about. we probably won't see a push for it for at least a few years (at least five but maybe longer) but I just want 3D to come back.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:51 pm

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:32 am
8K with glasses free 3D.... all I care about. we probably won't see a push for it for at least a few years (at least five but maybe longer) but I just want 3D to come back.
I believe the new specs for HDMI 2.1 can cover that, I know that it covers resolutions up to 10K and gives much higher true refresh rate. The refresh rates will help immensely with 3D, especially with regards to motion clarity.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:28 pm

I picked up a Chromecast Ultra recently. The built in Chromecast on my tv is frustratingly limiting and reading up on this it seemed to do a lot more than the built in smart features could. Since this is one of my 2 per year no bills paychecks I splurged and picked this up.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Finally hooked up the Chromecast this morning and played with it for a moment before Jacens therapy, just the beefed up functionality for Youtube alone is making me glad I picked this up.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:15 am

So my tv downloaded a firmware update overnight that has made the Chromecast unable to display HDR on youtube. The tradeoff though is that Prime can now display HDR, so yay, the Tick in HDR.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Mon May 07, 2018 9:10 am

Azmodeous wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:15 am
So my tv downloaded a firmware update overnight that has made the Chromecast unable to display HDR on youtube. The tradeoff though is that Prime can now display HDR, so yay, the Tick in HDR.
HDR Youtube is back thanks to a patch to the firmware.

I post from time to time on Blu-ray.com's forum, it's a good way to find out about upcoming new releases and such but man are some of the people who post there overbaring. It's always fun to watch "experts" complain because the colours don't match the DVD they watched for years, nevermind the insane amount of compression that is used to author a DVD.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon May 07, 2018 9:25 am

ultimately its personal preference, especially if you grew up watching a movie and it looked a certain way the way you watched it then yes, I get color changes might look "wrong" to you.

that said, "enthusiast" forums like that (or wrestling forums, or music forums, or fantasy sports forums, or politics comment sections, or Facebook) bring out the armchair procrastinators and other big words for nerds.
People so want to look like experts they don't realize (or care) how foolish they sound.

Human nature, just the internet makes sharing your opinion so easy we are overflowing with horse shit.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Mon May 07, 2018 10:19 am

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:25 am
ultimately its personal preference, especially if you grew up watching a movie and it looked a certain way the way you watched it then yes, I get color changes might look "wrong" to you.

that said, "enthusiast" forums like that (or wrestling forums, or music forums, or fantasy sports forums, or politics comment sections, or Facebook) bring out the armchair procrastinators and other big words for nerds.
People so want to look like experts they don't realize (or care) how foolish they sound.

Human nature, just the internet makes sharing your opinion so easy we are overflowing with horse shit.
That last line was the truest thing that could ever be said!

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:31 am

I'm thinking of picking up a Logitech Harmony remote. I have a cheap little $5 'all in one' remote that doesn't truly control everything and it's a bit frustrating as depending on what I'm doing certain buttons won't work at all (I can't even get the back button to work on the smart tv apps, so I have to close the apps out and reopen them to go back to the main menu). I'm reading up on this remote to see if it will truly help with my situation, especially in regards to my receiver, which the remote broke to some time back.

I'm still a long ways off from even considering a purchase on an OLED television but just seeing reviews for new models that new Alpha 9 processor seems to make it even better. I'm a big fan of Dolby Vision HDR thanks in large part to its dynamic tone mapping which adjusts the image levels from scene to scene to make the image look it's best. Netflix HDR at times looks better than some of my UHD Blu-ray disks (though the best transfers still smoke streaming, obviously) for this very reason and LG has made dynamic tone mapping a part of the specs of the Alpha 9 processor for all HDR modes which is awesome.

DevilSoprano

Post by DevilSoprano » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:58 pm

I love my Logitech Harmony remote. I have the 650. I tried the ones that connect to your wifi network but because of the distance from the modem/router to the TV I was using it on, there were always issues.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:01 pm

DevilSoprano wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:58 pm
I love my Logitech Harmony remote. I have the 650. I tried the ones that connect to your wifi network but because of the distance from the modem/router to the TV I was using it on, there were always issues.
That's the one I'm looking at. My modem is directly behind my tv so I don't think it's a problem for wifi connectivity.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:53 am

I picked up the Harmony remote, I absolutely love it! Sherry took one look at it and said it looks too complicated. She loves it now though, it makes things so simple and even she can see that (man, even her mom and sister like it and they're both adverse to technology).

On another note, this trend on social media of trying to popularise vertical video and 4:3 aspect ratios really needs to stop!

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:10 pm

I'm kind of kicking myself for passing up that HD CRT I saw at the thrift store last night.

Roxxxas

Post by Roxxxas » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:45 pm

So who wants to explain to me about an Amazon Fire Stick lol

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:26 pm

I've never owned a fire stick as what most people use it for I've had the means to through chromecast for years. From what I understand it's fairly simple to jailbreak it so to say but I'm not certain on how to do so.