Technology Talk

Stuff
ICEMAN KING PATSON

Re: Technology Talk

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Tue May 21, 2019 9:22 pm

Azmodeous wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:32 pm
Best Buy has LG's Atmos soundbars from last year on clearance. I'm going to bite the bullet and finally get one. I miss the extra oomph that a subwoofer gave me and Atmos will be a nice addition to my viewing experience.
how much? Not that I really have the money to get one but I can dream, right?

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 pm

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:22 pm
Azmodeous wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:32 pm
Best Buy has LG's Atmos soundbars from last year on clearance. I'm going to bite the bullet and finally get one. I miss the extra oomph that a subwoofer gave me and Atmos will be a nice addition to my viewing experience.
how much? Not that I really have the money to get one but I can dream, right?
The store closest to me has an open box deal for $320. Considering they went for nearly $1000 new, I think that's a great deal. I'm just trying to hold out until I get paid Friday and then I'm going to snatch it up. I'm hoping to make back a little bit of that cost selling my old surround sound system.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Sun May 26, 2019 12:54 am

I picked up the soundbar today. Double or Nothing lasted so late I'm going to wait until the morning to set it up.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Sun May 26, 2019 3:46 pm

Oh my, Atmos is amazing! This soundbar is tons more powerful than the surround sound system I've had for nearly a decade.

My next upgrade is going to be a new computer as I got that around the same time that I got the surround sound system.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:15 pm

I'm still looking at computers but I decided to get a new 4K Blu-ray player in the meantime. I had a Philips player that was released when the format launched and it was just a mediocre player that had some of the worst DVD upconverting I've seen. They only had one firmware update in the 3 years I had it and I was told on forums that basically every other player on the market was better than this one. I went with a Sony player based on having nothing but good luck with every player I've had from them (I still have a 9-year-old player going in Jacen's room and the ps3 is our bedroom player/Netflix go-to device).

I now can watch my 4K Blu-rays in Dolby Vision which I've always found more visually appealing than the standard HDR 10 base layer. The DVD upscaling is great as well from the few examples I have checked out so far. I'm actually excited to start going through and watching stuff more often again.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Ah, the joys of owning a smart tv: spending an hour readjusting my calibration settings because a firmware update makes the picture look off when watching stuff.

Iamspiderman

Post by Iamspiderman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:46 am

Azmodeous wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:40 pm
Ah, the joys of owning a smart tv: spending an hour readjusting my calibration settings because a firmware update makes the picture look off when watching stuff.
I just got a 43" Class RU7100 Smart 4K UHD TV (2019) for $99 thanks to a combo of a black friday sale/a credit for signing up with Verizon recently.

Reviews seem good on it. This is my first new TV in over 10 years so I'm excited to set it up and hope it works smoothly enough.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:09 am

Iamspiderman wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:46 am
Azmodeous wrote:
I just got a 43" Class RU7100 Smart 4K UHD TV (2019) for $99 thanks to a combo of a black friday sale/a credit for signing up with Verizon recently.

Reviews seem good on it. This is my first new TV in over 10 years so I'm excited to set it up and hope it works smoothly enough.
What system(s) you got for gaming? Seems like input lag is great, but HDR isnt the best. If you're running off an original model PS4 or XBOX 1 you should be fine.

Iamspiderman

Post by Iamspiderman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 am

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:09 am
Iamspiderman wrote:
Azmodeous wrote:

What system(s) you got for gaming? Seems like input lag is great, but HDR isnt the best. If you're running off an original model PS4 or XBOX 1 you should be fine.
I have an XBox One

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:39 am

If it's an OG XBox 1 then you should be really happy with the TV. If it's an S or higher maybe experiment with HDR and see if you like it. Though many of the bigger games have sliders for your max white point, so even if your set has a lower peak brightness you can make those games look great.

Iamspiderman

Post by Iamspiderman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:13 pm

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:39 am
If it's an OG XBox 1 then you should be really happy with the TV. If it's an S or higher maybe experiment with HDR and see if you like it. Though many of the bigger games have sliders for your max white point, so even if your set has a lower peak brightness you can make those games look great.
I def. have an XBOX One. Not sure if that falls under the OG category. I know it is not an S or any newer version. Yeah alot of this will be new for me, I was always just fine with my TV as it did its job and looked good.

Haven't plugged it in yet but will have to make sure there is no motion smoothing activated. I've hated that on every TV I've ever seen. Makes everything look like it was filmed as a soap opera and takes me out of most TV. :evil:

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:01 pm

Iamspiderman wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:13 pm
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:39 am
I def. have an XBOX One. Not sure if that falls under the OG category. I know it is not an S or any newer version. Yeah alot of this will be new for me, I was always just fine with my TV as it did its job and looked good.

Haven't plugged it in yet but will have to make sure there is no motion smoothing activated. I've hated that on every TV I've ever seen. Makes everything look like it was filmed as a soap opera and takes me out of most TV. :evil:
Not sure about the Samsung but if there's a "Game" setting use that as that setting should have the lowest input lag for gaming. When watching a movie maybe switch it over to a normal setting, and like most modern TVs you will probably have to find the setting that handles motion smoothing and shut it off manually.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:20 pm

Iamspiderman wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 am
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:09 am
Iamspiderman wrote:

I have an XBox One
I'm running an PS4 and the HDR on my set looks good but it maxes out at about 600-700 nits of peak brightness. A lot of 'HDR' televisions you see on sale around Walmart and Target barely reach 300 nits (which is still 3 times brighter than SDR HDTV's) when the minimum standard for HDR certification is 1000 nits (though they give OLED a pass as that technology for the longest time could barely reach 500 nits). Honestly, I'll take deep black levels and rich, accurate colors over eye scorching brightness any day of the week.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:49 pm

Dolby Vision helps your sets lower peak brightness. I am jealous of your black levels (I use ambient lighting and my TV has local dimming to help compensate for that).

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:56 pm

I basically don't turn on the lights in my living room (unless I have guests over, and that's rare) and keep blackout curtains up throughout the house. My set has Full-array local dimming with like 130 zones so it gives really great, deep black levels without ever crushing the image. I actually prefer Dolby Vision over HDR10, I know it uses dynamic metadata basically adjusting the image frame by frame instead of adjusting by scene.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:05 pm

I actually prefer HDR10 over Dolby Vision on most content on my set, but I have high enough brightness HDR10 it's usually fine. The real weakness of my set is the blacks and poor uniformity in large areas of neutral color (greys and sky blue basically).

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:19 am

The biggest weaknesses of my set is noticeable blooming when you get any credits sequence on a black screen and anything below 1080p doesn't upscale very well on the built-in upscaling (I get around that by letting my Blu-ray player or external chromecast do the heavy lifting on upscaling on lower resolution material).