The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

Joe

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

Post by Joe » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:17 pm

I’ve wanted to rewatch the MCU for awhile, and now that almost all of it streaming on Disney+, I can!

Joe

Re: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

Post by Joe » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:27 pm

It’s crazy how aged and yet new Iron Man feels. It’s a bit more gritty than a lot of the more recent Marvel movies. It actually feels like a genuine bridge between the way super hero movies used to be and what they’ve become thanks to Marvel. I really think Iron Man needed to be the first MCU movie. It worked out a lot of the way they’d do things while still having a great cast and story.

Plus somehow seeing Iron Man in suit for the first time still feels totally epic.

In my newly started and on-going MCU rankings, I definitely currently rank Iron Man at number one!

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:41 pm

So, I’m not watching The Incredible Hulk. It’s not owned by Disney so it’s not on their streaming service. It’s actuslly not streaming anywhere far as I know. And it’s not worth renting or buying to me. I did see it when it was first in theaters. It’s kind of the forgotten MCU movie. It falls outside of their ownership rights, and it was a different actor playing Bruce Banner/The Hulk, and nobody ever seems to really remember that it exists.

I’m sorry, Big Green Guy, but it’s on to Iron Man 2 for me!

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:21 pm

Joe wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:41 pm
So, I’m not watching The Incredible Hulk. It’s not owned by Disney so it’s not on their streaming service. It’s actuslly not streaming anywhere far as I know. And it’s not worth renting or buying to me. I did see it when it was first in theaters. It’s kind of the forgotten MCU movie. It falls outside of their ownership rights, and it was a different actor playing Bruce Banner/The Hulk, and nobody ever seems to really remember that it exists.

I’m sorry, Big Green Guy, but it’s on to Iron Man 2 for me!
To be fair this film does introduce General Ross, who set up the Sekovia accords in Civil War and is rumored to be playing a major part in setting up the next phase of Marvel films.

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:50 pm

I am doing this too. Was surprised to see they didn’t have Incredible Hulk. Not surprised to see the Spider-Man movies missing though.

That’s okay, if I need a Spidey fix I can watch the 1995 cartoon!

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:56 pm

-mp- wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:50 pm
I am doing this too. Was surprised to see they didn’t have Incredible Hulk. Not surprised to see the Spider-Man movies missing though.

That’s okay, if I need a Spidey fix I can watch the 1995 cartoon!
I saw a two-movie blu-ray with Homecoming and Far From Home for $29 at Best Buy last week. That I’ll invest in and watch.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:54 am

Iron Man 2 has never been one of my favorites, but I have to admit I kind of enjoyed it a lot more rewatching it last night. It was a fun intro to a lot of characters, including Black Widow (who evolves so much over time). And the story within the movie is pretty good. I’m still not sure Mickey Rourke was right in the bad guy role, but he certainly isn’t awful. I’m glad I enjoyed this more than when I first saw it. Definitely not better than the first one, but pretty good!

Rankings:

1-Iron Man
2-Iron Man 2

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:25 pm

Gonna try to watch Iron Man 2 tonight. I’m burned out on wrestling anyway.

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:32 pm

Thor is an interesting case study in “rewatching.” As s whole I think the movie is still great, but knowing how much better the Thor character is as a comedic figure as oppose to serious (if cheesy) super hero makes it hard to completely get into the movie now. Definitely still stands out for a good story, great cast, and generally bring well made. But it maybe hasn’t aged the best.

Rankings!
1-Iron Man
2-Thor
3-Iron Man 2

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:49 pm

I think Captain America: First Avenger is the most underrated movie in the MCU and one of the most important in really getting this thing off the ground. Now, it may be underrated because everything involving Red Skull is fucking terrible, but that's NOT THE POINT.

That first hour or so with Skinny Steve is absolute gold.

"Do you want to kill Nazis?"
"I don't want to kill anyone. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from."

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:43 pm

-mp- wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:49 pm
I think Captain America: First Avenger is the most underrated movie in the MCU and one of the most important in really getting this thing off the ground. Now, it may be underrated because everything involving Red Skull is fucking terrible, but that's NOT THE POINT.

That first hour or so with Skinny Steve is absolute gold.

"Do you want to kill Nazis?"
"I don't want to kill anyone. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from."
I may have to agree with you about it being underrated. Honestly, it’s kind of the first movie in the MCU that really reimagines what a super hero movie could be. Captain America has more in common with Indiana Jones than Superman. It’s a genuine adventure flick that hits all of the right notes. It’s very fun, and the emotion even works. Like even knowing Bucky’s eventual fate, it’s still heartbreaking watching that train scene. Or the very last scene with Cap. It all works even knowing what is to come.

I’d say of the four I’ve seen so far, Captain America also has aged the best (the irony is not lost on me). Certainly more so than Thor. Maybe more than the first two Iron Mans (Men?) too.

Rankings!

1-Captain America: The First Avenger
2-Iron Man
3-Iron Man 2
4-Thor

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:00 am

digging the love for First Avenger here. Joe Johnston was the perfect guy for this with what he did with the Rocketeer (which I need to rewatch on Disney+pronto).

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:16 pm

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:00 am
digging the love for First Avenger here. Joe Johnston was the perfect guy for this with what he did with the Rocketeer (which I need to rewatch on Disney+pronto).
I didn’t even realize it was the same director! That really makes a ton of sense. I loved The Rocketeer as a kid. Planning on watching it on Disney+ too!

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:05 am

Joe wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:16 pm
I didn’t even realize it was the same director! That really makes a ton of sense. I loved The Rocketeer as a kid. Planning on watching it on Disney+ too!
Another fun fact, Johnston got his start as a teenager working in the art department for Lucasfilm. He helped shape the look of Boba Fett and worked on everything from the original Star Wars film to Raiders of the Lost Ark to Willow before becoming a director. He doesn't get enough credit for the films he has made in my opinion.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:42 am

Azmodeous wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:05 am
Joe wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:16 pm
Another fun fact, Johnston got his start as a teenager working in the art department for Lucasfilm. He helped shape the look of Boba Fett and worked on everything from the original Star Wars film to Raiders of the Lost Ark to Willow before becoming a director. He doesn't get enough credit for the films he has made in my opinion.
That makes it even more fun/fitting to me that Captain America was more akin to those movies than Batman.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Watches The Avengers this morning. It’s still quite good, and it’s kind of fun hearing foreshadowing of events that come into play and wrapped up in Endgame. I guess they really had a lot planned out ahead of time! It makes me really appreciate Hulk’s overall story arc. It’s cool how characters like him, Black Widow and Hawkeye have these great stories told outside of their own movies. Some of Avengers is corny and age hasn’t helped that. But the set pieces that worked well still do! And it’s still cool seeing these characters interact for the first time. Like watching the first season of a long running TV show again.

I also watched Iron Man 3. Good god. I liked it when it came out, but what was wrong with me? It’s so just not good. It’s a below average 007 movie wannabe at best, with way too much Tony and way too little Iron Man. And a lame antagonist. I was pretty disappointed by this rewatch. And nothing important really even happened. Weak way to start Phase 2.

Rankings update!

1-Captain America: The First Avenger
2-Iron Man
3-The Avengers
4-Iron Man 2
5-Thor
6-Iron Man 3

Roxxxas

Post by Roxxxas » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:24 pm

It’s interesting because I’ve seen the opposite take on IM3 from other people online. I’m probably somewhere in the middle on it.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:56 pm

Roxxxas wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:24 pm
It’s interesting because I’ve seen the opposite take on IM3 from other people online. I’m probably somewhere in the middle on it.
I love Iron Man 3 but I'm an unabashed Shane Black mark, and it's a Shane Black movie first, MCU flick second.

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:16 pm

I still love the first Avengers movie. I don’t really have much to say about it though, feels like that one has been talked to death already (not in here, just everywhere).

I probably liked Iron Man 3 more than Joe but not by much. I usually like Guy Pearce but his villain character is awful. So is the finale that takes place in some kind of shipping hangar and is just ugly as all hell. I like the twist with the Mandarin though (do not like his substance abuse issues being played for broad comedy one bit). The scenes in Tennessee with the kid are the strongest parts of the movie. Oh, and the assault on Tony’s house was pretty cool. Overall it was a hangover from the Avengers and an excellent argument for not making any more Iron Man stand-alones.

Dreading the Dark World. 2013 was rough. But 2014 had two of my stone cold favorites to look forward to.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:54 pm

You know, I’m shocked to say I didn’t hate Dark World as much as when I first saw it. It’s actually aged pretty decently. It’s like they wanted to make a Star Wars movie, but episode I-III, not the actually really good ones. I mean, they probably figured hey we have Natalie Portman, what else do we need? It’s still not a great movie but I liked it more than Iron Man 3.