The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

-mp-

Re: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

Post by -mp- » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:34 pm

Dark World has one of the most incomprehensible plots I've ever seen in a movie. I DEFY one of you to tell me what the hell happened in that thing.

I really don't have anything good to say about it. Next!

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:16 pm

Gonna get lubed up and watch the Winter Soldier here shortly.

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Now I’m watching Guardians 1. Not lubed, but definitely half cocked.

I’m looking forward to Joe giving his thoughts on these last two and I’ll pepper in stuff from there. Top 5 though for me, for both, for sure.

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:40 am

Age of Ultron. It’s not great. If the bar is “Avengers movie” then it’s not even good. The other three are, like, landmark achievements in cinema in their own ways. This one really doesn’t even accomplish what it sets out to do. I know a lot of that was due to studio meddling and obviously Joss Whedon is no longer with us as a result (RIP, died and went to DC hell).

I did like the smaller moments. The party at Stark Tower and the regrouping scenes at Hawkeye’s house stood out for me. The big action stuff though, yeesh. Gave me a headache. And I have a theory that Whedon hates Captain America and did everything he could to make Cap look like a dork in the two movies he directed.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:31 pm

The end confrontation between Ultron and Vision was a big highlight for me. The philosophical battle over the importance of life is much appreciated in a film of this scale. This was apparently one of Feige's battles he had to fight Ike Perlmutter to get included.

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:02 pm

Appears I’ve been abandoned on this project. :( Anyhoo, here’s an update:

Antman - very charming little movie. The one you never look forward to watching but always end up enjoying. Rudd is the Studd.

Captain America: Civil War - I have complicated feelings on this one. As a pure action movie it’s right there with Winter Soldier. As a Marvel movie it might be the clumsiest one yet. You can see them pushing every plot lever they can to get to the end result of Cap and Iron Man beating the shit out of each other. I dunno. It also benefited GREATLY from coming right after Batman v. Superman: Don of Just Us.

Doctor Strange - extremely meh. Good visuals. Boring as shit story and main character. Not looking forward to the sequel. At least Eggsbenedict Cabbagepatch was a lot more fun in his later appearances.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:51 pm

I’m still here! I just went to Chicago and then discovered Succession on HBO. I’ll be back by the weekend on this!