WCW 1999

Moderator: Puns

Puns
Location: In my mom’s basement I steal her wifi and I pay no rent

WCW 1999

Post by Puns »

If you haven’t seen it, the promo Ric Flair gives about Hulk Hogan on the January 21, 1999 episode of Thunder is fantastic.
Azmodeous

Re: WCW 1999

Post by Azmodeous »

I faintly remember it. I'd have to go back and rewatch it to refresh my memory. The biggest thing I remember from 99 WCW was how scattered and disjointed everything was. The nWo was disbanded with no fanfare, other storylines were stopped suddenly, weird heel/face turns from out of nowhere, and that was before Russo came in and made things damn near unwatchable (I will admit his 00 run was worse than the late 99 stuff though).
Puns

Post by Puns »

I’ve been slowly rewatching everything WCW chronologically on the wwe network/peacock and I’m up to 1999 now. The finger poke of doom just happened and the nWo Wolfpack and the black and white got back together.

I had fondly remembered the nWo until rewatching everything for the first time since it happened. It was awesome at the start. The Sting feud stuff was so good. They booked it so freaking good until the biggest match in the history of the company where they took a shit in the ring because Sting wasn’t tan, brother. It should have been the biggest moment in the history of the company with the good guy beating the bad guy champion clean in the middle of the ring at the record setting show. But we got what we got instead. Did Sting show up fucked up on drugs? I don’t get how they messed it up so badly.

It’s crazy how bad they botched it from there in 1998. The nWo split into two groups, one face one heel. Then! Sting joins the nWo after his year and a half long feud with them. After beating the shit out of these guys with a baseball bat all those times they’re cool with him now. And Luger joins too because why not. They’re cool with the guys they hated for all that time now because the Wolfpac get cheered. Then Sting just disappears one day and they don’t ever say anything about him on the show until like January 99 when Scott Hall randomly says “hey where’s Sting?” during a backstage segment with all the nWo guys back together like one big happy family. Hulk Hogan with a Wolfpac shirt never looked right to me.
-mp-

Post by -mp- »

Puns wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:26 pm I’ve been slowly rewatching everything WCW chronologically on the wwe network/peacock and I’m up to 1999 now. The finger poke of doom just happened and the nWo Wolfpack and the black and white got back together.

I had fondly remembered the nWo until rewatching everything for the first time since it happened. It was awesome at the start. The Sting feud stuff was so good. They booked it so freaking good until the biggest match in the history of the company where they took a shit in the ring because Sting wasn’t tan, brother. It should have been the biggest moment in the history of the company with the good guy beating the bad guy champion clean in the middle of the ring at the record setting show. But we got what we got instead. Did Sting show up fucked up on drugs? I don’t get how they messed it up so badly.

It’s crazy how bad they botched it from there in 1998. The nWo split into two groups, one face one heel. Then! Sting joins the nWo after his year and a half long feud with them. After beating the shit out of these guys with a baseball bat all those times they’re cool with him now. And Luger joins too because why not. They’re cool with the guys they hated for all that time now because the Wolfpac get cheered. Then Sting just disappears one day and they don’t ever say anything about him on the show until like January 99 when Scott Hall randomly says “hey where’s Sting?” during a backstage segment with all the nWo guys back together like one big happy family. Hulk Hogan with a Wolfpac shirt never looked right to me.
Puns

Post by Puns »

Lol
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

I think most people have credited the awful finish for Starrcade 97 with Hogan exercising his creative control clause at the last minute and refuse to be pinned cleanly. Well, other than Bischoff and I really don't believe his story that the finish was 100 percent his call.
Puns

Post by Puns »

I used to listen to Bischoff’s podcast but I got real tired of Conrad and real tired of his constant ads and Bischoff often just came off to me like he was lying. Him claiming when Sting showed up he wasn’t tan being the reason was crazy.
Roxxxas

Post by Roxxxas »

Puns wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:37 pm I used to listen to Bischoff’s podcast but I got real tired of Conrad and real tired of his constant ads and Bischoff often just came off to me like he was lying. Him claiming when Sting showed up he wasn’t tan being the reason was crazy.
Or him being in shape too. My issue with either of those is that you have a guy hanging out in the rafters and not doing much and being antisocial for over a year, he probably isn’t out in the sun a lot.
Puns

Post by Puns »

I love Bam Bam Bigelow. That dude was awesome.
Send Hook

Post by Send Hook »

Puns wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:35 pm I love Bam Bam Bigelow. That dude was awesome.
Should of been a bigger deal than he was.
Puns

Post by Puns »

I agree. Why wasn’t he?
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Puns wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:35 pm I love Bam Bam Bigelow. That dude was awesome.
I loved Bam Bam as a kid! I met him at a very small indy a little before he passed away and thought he was a cool dude. I don't own many action figures but I do have a few Bam Bams!
Puns

Post by Puns »

That’s super cool you got to meet him.

On the February 25 episode of Thunder we get Juventud Guerrera vs Blitzkreig in a match that very well could have been on an episode of Dynamite.
Puns

Post by Puns »

Just finished Starrcade 1999. Horrible, awful, terrible pay per view. One of the worst of all time. Total piece of shit.

Kevin Nash faced Sid in a master of the powerbomb match. To win you have to hit a powerbomb. The ref gets hit, Sid powerbombs Nash. Interference from Hall. They beat up Sid. The ref wakes up and Nash tells him he hit the powerbomb and the referee gives him the win.

This is the show where Bret gets the beginning of the multiple concussions that ended his career. I think he first gets concussed doing the figure four around the ring post and having his head crack off the floor. You can see it clearly dazes him. Then after that Goldberg kicked his head off, giving him another concussion. Then the next night on Nitro he’s back in the ring with Goldberg. If only we knew then what we know now about head injuries.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

Man, looking back at the Vince Russo era is tough to even think about as a fan. It was like watching a con artist being caught in his lies and the company just kept rolling over for him. It got worse when he came back in 2000.
Puns

Post by Puns »

Yeah. You can tell when Russo takes over because everything stops making sense. It’s jarring how quickly everything goes off the rails. Hogan and Flair disappear. Suddenly you have Vampiro and the ICP, the the ICP disappear and The Misfits show up. The announcers say that one of the members is named Jerry Only. He’s the only one they ever call by name. Then Prince Iaukea becomes The Artist Formerly Known As Prince Iaukea and Sharmell is his valet and he now constantly touches himself. Then we get the Maestro. And Evan Karagias is with Medusa, who beats him for the cruiserweight title. And Oklahoma with Dr Death Steve Williams, running around with bbq sauce, saying boomer sooner!” all the time and mocking JR’s bells palsey. The fucking most disrespectful gimmick of all time. Oh and now Norman Smiley is scared of wrestling all of the sudden and screams every match. And there is interference in every match.
Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous »

Funny enough my brother's have become friends with The Maestro doing so many convention appearances.
Puns

Post by Puns »

I recognize him from Smoky Mountain. I think he went as Robbie Eagles there. He’s not bad in the ring, just the gimmick stinks. How many conventions have your brothers gone to?
Puns

Post by Puns »

Oh! Also! The weirdest thing happens on Starrcade 99. Michae Buffer is there to do the introductions….but he doesn’t say “LET’S GET READY TO RUMBLE!” He says “Are we ready?” instead of “are you ready” and says “we are ready to rumble.” It was the weirdest. I’ve never seen or heard of him doing it like that before.
Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 »

Ready To Rumble promotion had started so it makes sense.