Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Re: Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Joe wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:57 pm
Glass - M. Night Shamalayan’s take on a superhero movie, but it’s way more DC than Marvel in the worst ways possible. I’m not a fan of how it’s filmed. Nor of how self-referential it is. Nor of most of the acting, save for Bruce Willis. And I really didn’t love the twist ending or the extra twenty or so minutes of story wrap-up. After Split seemed to bring Shamalayan back into the pop culture conversation, Glass should take him back away.
wow. thats disappointing. most reviews (as well as you) have trashed it, but I really love Unbreakable and kind of love Split so I still feel like I need to see it.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:57 pm

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 pm
Joe wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:57 pm
Glass - M. Night Shamalayan’s take on a superhero movie, but it’s way more DC than Marvel in the worst ways possible. I’m not a fan of how it’s filmed. Nor of how self-referential it is. Nor of most of the acting, save for Bruce Willis. And I really didn’t love the twist ending or the extra twenty or so minutes of story wrap-up. After Split seemed to bring Shamalayan back into the pop culture conversation, Glass should take him back away.
wow. thats disappointing. most reviews (as well as you) have trashed it, but I really love Unbreakable and kind of love Split so I still feel like I need to see it.
I love Split too! Haven’t seen Unbreakable. I ignored the reviews but honestly it was even more disappointing than I expected.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:51 pm

Glass

This is pretty frustrating because there are large parts of this where the fan of Unbreakable and Split in me was totally feeling it's ticking those expectations and there's like edge of my seat and goosebumps type stuff, but it takes too long in the institution then fizzles pretty damn fast when it should be soaring' and whoa what a gut punch. I wasn't even mad at the twist to the twist just...numb.

I'll probably watch it again at some point and while I'm disappointed, I can't bring myself to hate it.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:08 pm

I've heard nothing good about Glass. I've heard a lot of people say that the trademark twist is total bullshite that sucks the wind out of the film. I'll probably go see it and draw my own conclusion (I'm the guy who loved The Last Jedi, mind you) though.

Roxxxas

Post by Roxxxas » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:17 pm

Dragon Ball Super - Broly

Everything you could want from a DB movie and the bonus backstory makes it even better.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:05 pm

Azmodeous wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:08 pm
I've heard nothing good about Glass. I've heard a lot of people say that the trademark twist is total bullshite that sucks the wind out of the film. I'll probably go see it and draw my own conclusion (I'm the guy who loved The Last Jedi, mind you) though.
There's multiple twists. The first twist was a real punch to the nuts though

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:47 pm

WIZARD OF OZ

I'm not a big fan of the movie but it's one of Laura's favorites so I grabbed tickets to the Fathom Events showing of it for the 80th anniversary. It was awesome seeing it on the big screen. I actually noticed some things that I hadn't before. When Dorothy is heading back into the house after she can't get into the storm cellar, Toto actually gets smacked in the face with the door. Probably my new favorite part :lol:

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:52 am

Serenity - In a few years, this will be shown to theaters full of people watching it for the ironic chance to just appreciate how awful it truly is. It’s the kind of awful film that can only come out of people thinking they’ve made an amazing movie. Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway do some of the worst acting you could imagine. And the plot, the damn plot, I don’t want to spoil anything but it goes from head scratching to eye rolling to watching in amazement that they actually went there. By the end people were laughing pretty loudly in the audience and while leaving the theater. And yet it’s the kind of movie you want to recommend people see just so they can appreciate how awful it is (and words just don’t do it justice). I’m so happy I saw this and that’s probably the first time in a long time I could say that about a movie that earns one star at best.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:30 am

Miss Bala - This is a really well done thriller with Gina Rodriguez delivering in the lead role. The plot takes some predictable beats but they work and keep the pace going and the film entertaining. The ending may jump a bit in logic, but it isn’t a bad thing per se. I’m a fan!

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:28 pm

They Shall Not Grow Old

This is the power of 3D (and Peter Jackson). Using the restored 100 year footage you, the viewer, are immersed into the "Great" War, and it's fucking brutal. Shame the only other people in the theater with me were a half dozen or so massively elderly people. Fucking young people. Go to the movies to fucking learn something you little coddled fucks.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:07 am

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:28 pm
They Shall Not Grow Old

This is the power of 3D (and Peter Jackson). Using the restored 100 year footage you, the viewer, are immersed into the "Great" War, and it's fucking brutal. Shame the only other people in the theater with me were a half dozen or so massively elderly people. Fucking young people. Go to the movies to fucking learn something you little coddled fucks.
I’ve seen this preview a bunch lately. It looks interesting but the 3D aspect is a huge turnoff for me.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:36 am

Joe wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:07 am
They Shall Not Grow Old

I’ve seen this preview a bunch lately. It looks interesting but the 3D aspect is a huge turnoff for me.
why do you not like 3D? it likes you.

It loves us all.
Also there's a 2D version (which would more likely be in your market, there was only one theater and it was 3D around here)

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 am

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:36 am
Joe wrote:
They Shall Not Grow Old

It loves us all.
Also there's a 2D version (which would more likely be in your market, there was only one theater and it was 3D around here)
I’ve just never liked 3D. No good reason. I can count on one hand the number of 3D movies I actually enjoyed.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Joe wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 am
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:36 am
Joe wrote:

It loves us all.
I’ve just never liked 3D. No good reason. I can count on one hand the number of 3D movies I actually enjoyed.
When done poorly it adds very little, when done well it's amazing and immersive.
Stereo D did the conversion for this and it's really well done with great depth and not "gimmicky" with things jumping at the screen. Most 3D is like this now honestly. Also, the theater itself and where you are sitting in the theater has a lot to do with it.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:56 pm

Serenity

This is just as pretentious and up it's own ass as mother! was, but it's actually enjoyable.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm

Cold Pursuit

While I'm disappointed I didn't get the Liam Neeson gets his revenge film I've been waiting awhile for (last year's Commuter wasn't that either) I am satisfied with what this ended up being... a Liam Neeson revenge film stuffed into a crime drama/black comedy. I doesn't always hit with the comedy but enough of it does that it adds to the violence (which can be pretty brutal at times) instead of diminishing the impact of it. This and Serenity are two early surprises for 2019 for me (both for not giving me what I expected and I ended up enjoying them).

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:58 pm

What Men Want - A mostly basic vehicle for Taraji P. Henson, who really does keep the movie afloat. And yet I can’t help but feel like she deserves to be in movies that are much better.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:10 pm

Battle Angel Alita

They created a gritty, lived in future world here, and the action is quite great at times, but the pacing is strange and the more any of the characters talk, the dumber the movie becomes.

GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:24 pm

Cold Pursuit was way more enjoyable than I expected. The bits of comedy to it helped.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:03 pm

GardenStateSaint wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:24 pm
Cold Pursuit was way more enjoyable than I expected. The bits of comedy to it helped.
yeah it wasn't what I expected but I dug it