Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Joe

Re: Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Post by Joe » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Cold Pursuit - The film felt a bit too bipolar to me. It comes off as a straight forward revenge thriller for a little too long before it owns being a dark comedy. For too long I felt uncomfortable laughing at certain moments because I genuinely wasn't sure that I was supposed to. Eventually it hits a point where its clearly just a dark comedy ("Are you familiar with Stockholm Syndrome?") and that certainly helps. The acting is pretty spot on as well overall. I just wish it had owned being a dark comedy from the very beginning.

Isn't It Romantic? - I really enjoyed this one! Rebel Wilson is great on screen and especially perfect for this role. The comedy almost all works, and while there is some cheesiness abound, it doesn't feel out of place given the plot. I always appreciate a movie that knows how to not take itself too seriously.

Alita: Battle Angel - This was great! Love the world they created, and the story being told here. Alita as a main character is very intriguing. The action is great and the visuals are just awesome. Some of it, okay maybe even a lot of it, is undeniably cheesy, but I don't know, I think it works!

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:57 pm

ICEMAN KING PATSON wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:36 am
Joe wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:07 am
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:28 pm
They Shall Not Grow Old

This is the power of 3D (and Peter Jackson). Using the restored 100 year footage you, the viewer, are immersed into the "Great" War, and it's fucking brutal. Shame the only other people in the theater with me were a half dozen or so massively elderly people. Fucking young people. Go to the movies to fucking learn something you little coddled fucks.
I’ve seen this preview a bunch lately. It looks interesting but the 3D aspect is a huge turnoff for me.
why do you not like 3D? it likes you.

It loves us all.
Also there's a 2D version (which would more likely be in your market, there was only one theater and it was 3D around here)
So I actually ended up seeing this today, in 2D. I won't count it towards my 2019 movies because it technically came out last year, but I did want to comment on it since you had talked about it. I wasn't a fan. I respect the restoration they did, but there's no real semblance of a story being told. They just keep hitting you with more footage and voice overs with zero room to stop and breathe. Frankly, it's overwhelming.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:40 pm

It kind of is supposed to be overwhelming I think. It's designed to try to give you a feeling for what that generation in that war went through, and in that regard I think it nailed it and delivered.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:40 pm
It kind of is supposed to be overwhelming I think. It's designed to try to give you a feeling for what that generation in that war went through, and in that regard I think it nailed it and delivered.
I definitely considered that. They delivered if that was the goal for sure. Didn’t make for a viewing I can recommend though. But I respect what they did with the footage.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:40 pm

Joe wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:36 pm
I definitely considered that. They delivered if that was the goal for sure. Didn’t make for a viewing I can recommend though. But I respect what they did with the footage.
To be fair I think I admired and respected it far more than I enjoyed it as well (hence my ranking).

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:48 pm

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:40 pm
Joe wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:36 pm
To be fair I think I admired and respected it far more than I enjoyed it as well (hence my ranking).
Oh yeah, that’s why I avoided using the word enjoy, because I’m not sure it’s the type of movie made to be enjoyed. Some of it is downright brutal to see.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:06 pm

FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY I didn't expect much but it's a much better movie than it should be. The entire family is easy to connect with and Vince Vaughn does a great job as the dick trainer that pushes because deep down he cares. Some really funny moments that break up the seriousness of some things like jealousy and alcoholism.

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:33 am

Captain Marvel

By this point, you know what you're getting when it comes to a Marvel Studios film. At the very least it's a fun time at the movies, and that's what this is. There's a ton of unnecessary controversy over this film online and it's honestly just another solid film. I'd place it somewhere in the Antman and the Wasp territory as far as it's place in the overall MCU.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:58 pm

Chopping Mall

Saw it at the Drafthouse in Raleigh. With the Director talking before and after. Leaving before Return of Swamp Thing to go to a metal show.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Captain Marvel

Pretty middle of the road Marvel, I liked it, sometimes a lot, but it's closer to Antman and Wasp level (like Daniel said). Liked Brie more in the role than I thought I would...she doesn't really fit the comic version but she's got a kind of calm charm....it works. Sam Jackson is the star though.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:54 pm

Captain Marvel (...I mean Shazam?)

DC continues to try to make Marvel movies (after Aquaman) and this feels like a mid tier Marvel film just a bit...cheaper. Maybe too jokey but a fun little flick. The Big comparison is a bit too on the nose (there's even
a giant keyboard toy store scene
. I marked out for
the Marvel Family and Mister Mind, especially Mister Mind

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:41 pm

Hellboy (2019)

Shame this bombed, it fucking rules. Its Evil Dead meets fantasy, gory as fuck (with lots of use of the word as well). Its obvious why reviewers hate it, it's way too gory, foul mouthed, and admittedly kind of dumb for the general public. Took some big old brass balls to make this in a world where all comic properties have to copy the MCU super formulaic formula, hopefully it will have some kind of cult following on video or something. Probably won't, because people are fucking stupid.

Keith6601

Post by Keith6601 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:54 pm

AVENGERS: ENDGAME

Not going to say anything to avoid even the smallest spoiler but holy hell was it awesome. The first 2 hours are tremendous and the best non-super hero super-hero movie and then once it starts, boy howdy.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Keith6601 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:54 pm

Not going to say anything to avoid even the smallest spoiler but holy hell was it awesome. The first 2 hours are tremendous and the best non-super hero super-hero movie and then once it starts, boy howdy.
I just want to know how you saw it already???

Roxxxas

Post by Roxxxas » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:49 pm

Joe wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:08 pm
Keith6601 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:54 pm

I just want to know how you saw it already???
Spoilers :lol:

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:34 pm

Got my ticket, headed to the show in a few hours. It’s not a midnight screening, which is weird but very much appreciated. Maybe because it’s a 3 hour movie?

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:36 pm

-mp- wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:34 pm
Got my ticket, headed to the show in a few hours. It’s not a midnight screening, which is weird but very much appreciated. Maybe because it’s a 3 hour movie?
The concept of the midnight screening turned into the 7 pm screening awhile ago. I guess studios and theaters figure they can get more showings in the night before the official release if they start earlier. Though I’ve seen screenings for this one as early as 6 pm. It’s crazy.

I have tickets for tomorrow at 6 pm. Didn’t think I’d get here in SF but I found a showing!

-mp-

Post by -mp- » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:39 pm

Joe wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:36 pm
-mp- wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:34 pm
The concept of the midnight screening turned into the 7 pm screening awhile ago. I guess studios and theaters figure they can get more showings in the night before the official release if they start earlier. Though I’ve seen screenings for this one as early as 6 pm. It’s crazy.

I have tickets for tomorrow at 6 pm. Didn’t think I’d get here in SF but I found a showing!
Yeah this was the first time I’ve stepped into a movie theater in years.

We need a spoiler thread right? Because I’m about to burst.

ICEMAN KING PATSON

Post by ICEMAN KING PATSON » Thu May 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Detective Pikachu

A dark neo noir mixed with a dark corporate conspiracy thriller in a dark theater (after they finally turned down the lights), with heavy discussion on abandonment and loss.

Also Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu making silly jokes and Justice Smith falling down and running and falling down again. Pika Pika

Azmodeous

Post by Azmodeous » Thu May 09, 2019 8:34 pm

Thu May 09, 2019 6:53 pm
Detective Pikachu

A dark neo noir mixed with a dark corporate conspiracy thriller in a dark theater (after they finally turned down the lights), with heavy discussion on abandonment and loss.

Also Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu making silly jokes and Justice Smith falling down and running and falling down again. Pika Pika
I've never cared one iota for Pokemon but for some reason, this looks interesting to me. Is it really as good as folks claim it is?